Calcium overdose

Spaceshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally got my calcium up to 560 and what can i do to lower it I've done a water change

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I know how would be water changes :( sorry this happened. What is the bad thing with high calcium? Never dosed it before

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the corals look? Are they dying/stressed?

If not, you're probably okay. The only real way to lower it is a water change or letting the corals absorb it naturally and turning the dosing off.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I accidentally got my calcium up to 560 and what can i do to lower it I've done a water change
It is likely not a huge problem if everything looks ok. What is your MG/Alk. I run my Ca a bit high - 500-520 all the time. If things are stressed - water changes. more quickly - if things seem ok - more gradual.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey man, dont freak out just yet. a few weeks ago my doser leaked and dumped an entire bottle (almost 400ml) of calcium into my 14G tank. I didn't even bother testing and went right for a water change. oh, and my battery powered LED light fell into the sump and 3 AAA batteries exploded inside, corroded and leaked battery goo, on the same day as the leak.

big water changes are your friend. other than 1 acro that got hit really hard, my tank looks completely normal again after just a few weeks and big water changes (and cuprisorb for the battery goo)

OP
OP
Spaceshrimp

Spaceshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man, dont freak out just yet. a few weeks ago my doser leaked and dumped an entire bottle (almost 400ml) of calcium into my 14G tank. I didn't even bother testing and went right for a water change. oh, and my battery powered LED light fell into the sump and 3 AAA batteries exploded inside, corroded and leaked battery goo, on the same day as the leak.

big water changes are your friend. other than 1 acro that got hit really hard, my tank looks completely normal again after just a few weeks and big water changes (and cuprisorb for the battery goo)
My acro is not looking well it started to go pale

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My acro is not looking well it started to go pale

Do you happen to have a picture? Have you rechecked Ca after the water change? Quick changes (lets say a CA from 420 to 520) can be a problem. That said once the Ca is at 520 - changing it back rapidly to 420 can also sometimes cause a problem - Are your Alk, Mg, etc still ok? They can also change quickly when the Ca rises. Last question - how did you get the calcium up to 560 - was it pure calcium chloride - or a mixture of other things. If there was Ca and other things a water change is probably in order (some trace elements can be toxic).

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do nothing. It will come back down on it's own.

Or even try some baking soda if alk is below 8DKH or so.

my .02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back