Calcium reactor bet option?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deciding between a Kamora or a versa (if I can get one) dosing pumps. Been keeping a look out for a carbon Doser.
You will be up and running before you know it!!!

I have the Kamora but it’s a bit expensive. If you find a Versa, snag it. Careful on a used Carbon Doser - can rust out pretty easily. Make sure owner took care of it.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any other regulators to look at? I have read that Tunze has a good one. My goal is to connect it to my apex. I plan to set the PH in the reactor and control the flow. Unless there are better ways

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get your bubble count right, the apex should not have to cycle the solenoid often. That is easier to do with a carbon Doser but doable with a conventional regulator. I use a milwaukee and am happy with it.

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old reactor I used to control Alk levels by adjusting the effluent flows and left my Ph set. I had issues with clogging lines, etc. I now open the effluent to a pretty steady stream, and a higher Ph than I used to run. I adjust down Ph via my apex when I need to adjust alk. No more clogs and run a higher Ph.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How often do you need to adjust? Adding coral? growth? Realistically how much adjusting is needed. I keep reading that this is "almost" a set and forget. is that the case?

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other regulators to look at? I have read that Tunze has a good one. My goal is to connect it to my apex. I plan to set the PH in the reactor and control the flow. Unless there are better ways

I would just go with the CarbonDoser and control the PH. You can make much finer adjustments with that setup imho, especially if you have a quality peristaltic pump keeping constant flow. You can still make long-term flow adjustments as your Alk consumption increases. I have one of the OG "AquariumPlants Automatic CO2 Regulators" (before it was called CarbonDoser) and it never skipped a beat.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be up and running before you know it!!!

I have the Kamora but it’s a bit expensive. If you find a Versa, snag it. Careful on a used Carbon Doser - can rust out pretty easily. Make sure owner took care of it.

Hmm I actually pried mine apart (was just curious) and there is literally nothing in there that could rust. There's a simple timer circuit, a solenoid, and some tubing. Besides, it should never really be in contact with any water. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Never mind, I think you meant on the outside?

Last edited:
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just an idea, but I plan to get a clear water scrubber, I was thinking that I could dump the effluent right to it. the algae should use up the CO2. I see that pax bellum can do that with the adapter

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back