Calcium reactor effluent rate

Titanwerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, so I have the AquaMaxx CTech T-2 that is connected directly to my main manifold and I noticed my effluent rate usually stops after a few days and I have to tinker with it to get it going again. I was trying to do the drip rate method but have just switched to the continuous flow method and was wondering what others were doing or if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and if anyone can suggest a fix?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, so I have the AquaMaxx CTech T-2 that is connected directly to my main manifold and I noticed my effluent rate usually stops after a few days and I have to tinker with it to get it going again. I was trying to do the drip rate method but have just switched to the continuous flow method and was wondering what others were doing or if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and if anyone can suggest a fix?
I run the continuous flow method too.

Hybird's flow

:)

OP
OP
Titanwerx

Titanwerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s the one I’m trying out but it seems the flow seems to still slow down after a few days, currently it’s not streaming as it was setup and is dripping. I’m thinking it’s going to stop all together soon. Was thinking of installing a dosing pump to pull it out as well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s the one I’m trying out but it seems the flow seems to still slow down after a few days, currently it’s not streaming as it was setup and is dripping. I’m thinking it’s going to stop all together soon. Was thinking of installing a dosing pump to pull it out as well.
Hybird and GEO told me not to use my manifold for the feed.

I use the Sicce 1.0 as my feed pump. It's done a great job.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated using a PH probe and controller to add the CO2... too many ups and downs throughout the day as the PH in the reactor goes up and down. I just tune mine by hand and it works for months and months until I need to turn it up again after the corals grow a bit. I melt at about 6.6 pH.

I feed with either a MaxiJet or a Tee off of the return line (not a manifold). I do not get clogs unless I let the media melt too small, which has not happened since they started making larger size media.

OP
OP
Titanwerx

Titanwerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok, i mainly use the PH probe to monitor my PH from dropping too low and melting my media not to control the PH. I might have to try a pump first since it may be a cheaper fix than the dosing pump I’m planning on getting if it fails.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated using a PH probe and controller to add the CO2... too many ups and downs throughout the day as the PH in the reactor goes up and down. I just tune mine by hand and it works for months and months until I need to turn it up again after the corals grow a bit. I melt at about 6.6 pH.

I feed with either a MaxiJet or a Tee off of the return line (not a manifold). I do not get clogs unless I let the media melt too small, which has not happened since they started making larger size media.
I do run mine with Apex Fusion and it has a nice wave ~ 24/7

I can flat line it out, but I don't want too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH probe is far less reliable than a good regulator and needle valve. Hobby grade pH probes are not to be trusted. I guess that if you just use it to alert, then that is Ok, but lots of people have melted media when a pH probe says that the reactor is 6.9 when it is really 6.1 (or whatever) and they had their Co2 jacked up too far because they never took the time to tune. The good thing is that a reactor works so slow, that a tank crash is not really an issue unless it goes on for days and days without being detected and the parameters race too high or too low.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH probe is far less reliable than a good regulator and needle valve. Hobby grade pH probes are not to be trusted. I guess that if you just use it to alert, then that is Ok, but lots of people have melted media when a pH probe says that the reactor is 6.9 when it is really 6.1 (or whatever) and they had their Co2 jacked up too far because they never took the time to tune. The good thing is that a reactor works so slow, that a tank crash is not really an issue unless it goes on for days and days without being detected and the parameters race too high or too low.
I have an custom built dual 2 stage regulator (with an six year warranty), but I like Fusion to back it up.

Anything could happen to the best of regulators.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run pH controlled calrx anymore.
In my system it runs 24/7.
Co2 at 40-45 bubbles per min while outlet flow of 120 to 125 ml/min.
Keeps my alk at 7.95-8.12
Cal 440-460 mag 1600.
I have zeomag mixed in Cal reactor media. I have reef octopus dual chamber reactor with the biggest size media almost small pebbles.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Vols, can you post the graph of the wave on your apex? I would really like to see how often it switches your solenoid on and off.
Out of respect to this thread I'm not going to post my Apex wave.

"There are many ways to skin a cat"

And I should have not treated @jda the way that I did.

I have flat lined too (solenoid valve opened at all times) and it's a great way to go.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back