Geo Calcium Reactor effluent inconsistencies

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newer Geo calcium reactor on a fairly large system that has been having recent issues with inconsistent effluent delivery.
Unit is the newer Super Silent unit with the newer co2 mixing tower with a 818 main chamber with a 616 secondary chamber for co2 reduction.
I run a Versa dosing pump PULLING water through the system.
Recently I’ve been having issues with the effluent “sputtering “. It runs normally for a number of minutes then sputters as if air (perhaps co2) needs to be pulled through and then goes back to a normal effluent discharge. This happens every 5 minutes or so which makes it difficult to maintain a solid alkalinity reading. Alk varies .2-.3 dkh daily which before this issue was steady day to day.
I’m pulling 110 ml/min through the reactor so it’s a good amount which I would think would not be purging air like it is.
I’ve been advised to perhaps PUSH the water into the reactor rather than PULL but I’m unsure if that is the solution.
Any ideas or suggestions?

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Normally the peristaltic pump is used to pull water, how calcium reactor is getting water?.
Hose, from the tank. Sometimes the hose could be clog and limit the water, also the diameter is important.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is being pulled into reactor by a versa dosing pump. Using regular ro tubing for feed line.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved.
I switched from pulling to pushing water through the reactor and it is running perfectly now.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved.
I switched from pulling to pushing water through the reactor and it is running perfectly now.
Some people that I have read post on calcium reactors prefer the pull method for feeding but I much prefer to push it through.

As you suspected, calcium reactors can build up excess CO2 which when you are "pulling" will aggravate your pump, but if you "push" you will only have these CO2 bubbles off gas without having to go through your pump first.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure it was a buildup of co2 or drawing air through fittings. I have a friend who mentioned that the quick release push fittings on the reactor can draw small amounts of air in the pulling process.
I can’t be absolutely certain what the buildup of air/co2 was from but the pushing method seems to be working great and it was steady when I got up this morning so I believe the problem has been resolved!!
Hope this can help others in a similar situation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back