Calcium reading at about 700

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have the same problem Ca is 700.
Only changes wad I added drilled for fixation point new Ocean rocks, which was in RO water an about 6 month and RO water was weekly change.
KH is 7.8. Mg is 1600.
I don't know what I have to do. I use the balling Fauna Marine, but about 5 weeks I add only KH solution.

I thought I was the only with this issue. My cal is at 820 alk at 10 no precipitation. I haven't dose cal in years and I can never get it down to where its supposed to be. What's the deal? I have no sps just lps, softies, and fishes

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess you have a reactor. Have you changed the media lately

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I was the only with this issue. My cal is at 820 alk at 10 no precipitation. I haven't dose cal in years and I can never get it down to where its supposed to be. What's the deal? I have no sps just lps, softies, and fishes

You have not dosed cal so what is giving you cal and alk in the tank

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you check your freshly mixed water before you add it in tank to see if it's that high

Nemofan7998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt are you using? I highly recommend Instant Ocean. I haven"t had any issues with it and i love the stuff. Its very trustworthy. I would use Salifert brand for testing phosphate and PH. Salifert is a lab grade test kit brand and is much more accurate than API. I use API currently for my calcium test and seems to be working fine but will be switching every test kit over to Salifert soon. A refractometer is a good way to measure your salinity but make sure you have calibration fluid and calibrate each and every time before you test salinity to ensure that there aren't any inaccuracies. Please let us know what ends up happening. Me curious. :tongue:

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt are you using? I highly recommend Instant Ocean. I haven"t had any issues with it and i love the stuff. Its very trustworthy. I would use Salifert brand for testing phosphate and PH. Salifert is a lab grade test kit brand and is much more accurate than API. I use API currently for my calcium test and seems to be working fine but will be switching every test kit over to Salifert soon. A refractometer is a good way to measure your salinity but make sure you have calibration fluid and calibrate each and every time before you test salinity to ensure that there aren't any inaccuracies. Please let us know what ends up happening. Me curious. :tongue:

I use NSW I use API for my cal, alk, ph, nitrate and it seems to do its job. I also have a refractometer which I do calibrate. Salinity is at 1.026 I just don't understand why cal is so high

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NSW I use API for my cal, alk, ph, nitrate and it seems to do its job. I also have a refractometer which I do calibrate. Salinity is at 1.026 I just don't understand why cal is so high

Where did you get the NSW? Did you collect it yourself?

There isn't any in tank process that raises calcium on its own.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the NSW? Did you collect it yourself?

There isn't any in tank process that raises calcium on its own.

LFS they get it delivered from Catalina Island or Scripps, that's why the mystery and I don't understand how.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back