Test Kits

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have been using API test kits for the last 18 months or so. I understand their subjectivity with color interpretations, testing procedure integrity etc..

So I have been slowly (month by month) been upgrading to Hanna checkers. I have Hanna for Calcium, pH, alkalinity, calcium, and as of today high range nitrate (HRN). So far, everything has been similar with the exception of alkalinity. API was consistently lower than Hanna.

For HRN, I tested my water today with API and got a result of 30ish ppm. I received and ran a Hannah HRN test and got a result of 2.1 ppm. :pleading-face:I did the test incorrectly... Helps to read the instructions. Shake for 2 minutes please.

After correcting my mistakes, the Hanna HRN test returned a result of 25.2 ppm. Similar to the API result, but more precise, and not subjectiveish.

So, what does this mean? Well, I am not sure, but it is a data point. Hope it is helpful to others. Hanna low range phosphate will be the next tool in my arsenal.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's just a personal thing with me, but I hate the Hanna test kits.

I have no issue with API, especially with Ca and alk. And I have them as 'backup' to the Salifert kits I use now.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and like the Hanna checkers, except I don't use them for Calcium or pH.
*note -- I'm color blind so there's that

Hanna dKH has matched Salifert pretty closely for me the handful of times I've compared on same water sample.

For phosphate, I vote get the ULR, unless you're running >0.90 ppm PO4.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the hanna for alk, phosphates for the main and copper for my qt. the rest I used the salifert kits and had good luck with them. Never used API though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back