Hanna vs API Alkalinity Test Kit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Artzevo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Artzevo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2025
Messages
49
Reaction score
36
Location
Pearland
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using api to test my dKH since the beginning. Also using instant ocean reef salt for several months until this week, I bought redsea blue bucket. I just got my Hanna dKH tester. Hanna output the result at 6.5 dKH twice, while API shows range around 8dKH. Not sure who to trust! What do ya think? I mixed a gallon of fresh saltwater. Tested the dKH to see if the Hanna is accurate. It gave me a result of exactly 7.0 dKH twice. I’m thinking about getting another type of test kit lol
 
I would trust the hanna over the API all day every day.
That's true, I'm going to be flabbergasted if my dKH really is at 6.5 lol. That would explain every coral issue I've had. I'm going to order a salifert test kit just to give myself peace of mind.
 
I would trust the hanna over the API all day every day.
I agree. Had issues with my tank and used API once I switched to Hanna or salifert which were the same I dosed per those 2 and corals did much better.
 
I agree. Had issues with my tank and used API once I switched to Hanna or salifert which were the same I dosed per those 2 and corals did much better.
Oof! Then yeah I think I'm taking the safe route here getting the Salifert too. Hopefully this begins to liven my hammer coral. He's been kinda sad looking these last few weeks.
 
The Salifert dKH tester arrived... And guess what! Hanna test was correct indeed! That's a shame and a relief at the same time. I lost many SPS, but at the very least I now know the main issue and will correct it. API test kits are good for cycling, garbage for SPS.
 
The Salifert dKH tester arrived... And guess what! Hanna test was correct indeed! That's a shame and a relief at the same time. I lost many SPS, but at the very least I now know the main issue and will correct it. API test kits are good for cycling, garbage for SPS.
Yep, I used my API for cycling, then eventually moved onto Red Sea and Salifert. Never had success with API
 
Yep, I used my API for cycling, then eventually moved onto Red Sea and Salifert. Never had success with API
My monti digitata and two acros are doing super well now. 6.5 dkh was hurting my corals lol. now i keep it around 8dk.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new