Calcium rises by itself

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, I spoke with Florida aqua farms and the Coraline stimulator does not contain calcium. So for those of you looking for a good supplement, I highly recommend it. I used in I’m my tank many years ago and it did wonders for my corals and Coraline. I used that and b-ionic exclusively and never had issues which is why I went back to it for this new tank. Just wish I could figure out what my issues are now. Maybe I’m just rushing things. Will keep you all posted on the calcium drop. On a side note it does appear that raising my nitrates to 4-5 ppm has helped my corals considerably.
Nice, thanks for the update. [emoji106]

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem 3 years later. I was looking through old forums for an answer..my 65 gallon mostly lps tank is running 525 calcium 8.5 alkalinity that I just brought up from a low 6.9 recently. With seachem reef carbonate. No matter where my alkalinity is my calcium is always at least 499 and goes up from there. I'm also fighting low magnesium. At 1288 . PH is 7.9 nitrates at 20 . Im using bio pellets in a reactor for nitrates. Im using phosguard for phosphate. There at .4 and using renew for carbon. All seachem products. I need to figure out why my calcium is so high. Even after dosing alkalinity 20 mills every other day. For two weeks to bring up my alkalinity I would have expected a drop..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem 3 years later. I was looking through old forums for an answer..my 65 gallon mostly lps tank is running 525 calcium 8.5 alkalinity that I just brought up from a low 6.9 recently. With seachem reef carbonate. No matter where my alkalinity is my calcium is always at least 499 and goes up from there. I'm also fighting low magnesium. At 1288 . PH is 7.9 nitrates at 20 . Im using bio pellets in a reactor for nitrates. Im using phosguard for phosphate. There at .4 and using renew for carbon. All seachem products. I need to figure out why my calcium is so high. Even after dosing alkalinity 20 mills every other day. For two weeks to bring up my alkalinity I would have expected a drop..

How much is that alkalinity dosing in dKH per day?

Are you using tap water?

Joebigred1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

joebigred2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having the same issue,
I been trying to figure it out from the last three months have you figured out the problem

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having the same issue,
I been trying to figure it out from the last three months have you figured out the problem

How much is your calcium rising over what period of time, and what are you adding to the system?

joebigred2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from my apex, when I double check with my Hanna checker it reading are very Close to each other.
9/16(535cal)
9/23(556cal)
9/30(565cal)
10-7(577cal)
All I use is seachem reef calcium and seachem reef carbonate ALK.
thanks for the Responding it’s driving me crazy and I can’t figure it out

joebigred2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is your calcium rising over what period of time, and what are you adding to the system?
This is from my apex, when I double check with my Hanna checker it reading are very Close to each other.
9/16(535cal)
9/23(556cal)
9/30(565cal)
10-7(577cal)
All I use is seachem reef calcium and seachem reef carbonate ALK.
thanks for the Responding it’s driving me crazy and I can’t figure it out

joebigred2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what would cause my calcium to rise on its own? Could it be from the aragonite rock in my tank? Or maybe from my ro/di? My calcium is off the charts on both my salifert and Hanna test kits. For months I have been only dosing the alkalinity portion of B-ionic and my alkalinity drops daily but the calcium seems to go up. After two water changes the calcium dropped to about 500 on my Hanna kit. Always over the 500 max on my salifert kit. Then by the end of the week it’s over 600 again on my Hanna kit. I have to add about 30 ml a day of the alkalinity to keep it over 8. It’s 8.4 now. I have a 240 gallon tank with a 125 gallon sump. When I do a water change I only drain the sump. I use reef crystals salt. When I started the tank in January I was dosing both parts and realized the calcium was off the charts. Is it possible I still have a buildup of calcium from then? I’ve only done two water changes since January because my other parameters seem good. Thoughts? Could this be a false reading? My magnium is around 1300. Nitrates about 4 ppm, phosphates about 29 ppb. Temp 79. Salinity 35 ppt.
Did you ever find a solution to this problem I have the same one ?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...
Season 4 Episode 408 GIF by Rick and Morty

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sources of calcium (aside from dosed chemicals) that are typically significant are top off water, high calcium in water change water, and slow dissolution of rock and sand.

The last one is normal and is usually buried under larger demand for calcium by corals, but in a low demand tank, it can become significant.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back