Calibration Solution mini shoot out

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some testing this week, this is what I got. I'm using an old ATC refractometer (prob 20 years). The scale looks like the VeeGee one. It's a great refractometer and keeps its calibration well.

I carefully measured out salt and water using a 100g digital scale and made calibration solution according to Randy. I made it three times. I made it very carefully twice, then once I was a bit sloppy about the measuring so I could compare to see how sensitive the solution is to changes. The sloppy one was off from the other two by 1 ppt. The two carefully measured out were exactly the same. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/#18

All calibration solutions were allowed to sit on the refractometer for 45-60 seconds for ATC.

So I first washed the refractometer with a mild soap solution, dried it, and let it sit for 5 mins to be room temperature. Then I calibrated with Randy's solution. After calibration I re-checked the solution and found it to read exactly 35 ppt.

I measured a freshly opened bottle of TLF AccuraSea Seawater Reference Calibration Solution. It read 36 ppt.

I measured a freshly opened bottle of Sybon Standard Seawater 35 ppt Calibration Solution. It read 32.5 ppt.

I measured a bottle of TLF that had been open for awhile, used a couple dozen times, carefully closed every time. I do not like the big opening on this bottle! So much room for contamination and evaporation! This bottle read 37 ppt.

I measured a bottle of Sybon that had been open for about 2 years, about 1/2 full still. It read 31.5 ppt.

I measured an old bottle of Sybon that had been open for probably 6 years. It only had maybe 1/4" of solution left in it. It read 31 ppt.

Interestingly, I had a Triton test done last year in August. I was using the Sybon above that is listed as about 2 years old (reading 31.5 ppt), and using Jim's spreadsheet to determine salinity from Triton results, my result was 32 ppt. Although this anecdotal evidence has a big time gap, the three Sybon solutions read only 1.5 ppt difference from brand new to 6 years old, so I would think the solution would not change much in the last year.

All these points lead me to believe that Sybon is inherently low. I didn't think I believed the TLF solution when I first tried it out a few months back and found it to read so much higher than the Sybon which I had relied on for so many years. Then I remembered the Triton test results indicating low salinity. Then Randy's solution is very close to the TLF also.

So now what I do is use the new Sybon (because I like the bottle better), but I calibrate it at 32.5 ppt rather than 35 ppt. Since it is a seawater solution, I should get an accurate calibration. After testing, this does seem to be the case. I am confident that salinity in my tank now is at the very least, closer to 35 ppt than it was.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done an in-depth comparison such as the one you have done, but I do have an interesting anecdote. I've been using a DIY salinity standard for a while, made following the directions in Randy's article above. I used a commercial standard from Bulk Reef Supply (Aquacraft Refractometer Calibration Fluid) to verify results. The DIY solution never matched the commercial solution, so I would add salt or freshwater to the DIY standard until it did match. I always did wonder, though, was the DIY solution really wrong? Or was the commercial solution wrong? At the end of the day, I just stuck with the notion that stability is what mattered and I trusted the commercial fluid.

Recently, I bought a conductivity meter (the American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor). I made a new salinity standard for conductivity using the recipe in Randy's article. I then compared it to the standard included with the meter. The DIY standard was a bit low (51.1 mS), but I decided to just leave it alone. 51.1 mS is pretty close to 53 mS, so I don't think there would be significant calibration inaccuracies by calibrating to 51.1 mS.

The interesting part is that I measured my tank's water with the refractometer and the conductivity meter. The refractometer read 35ppt and the conductivity monitor read just over 53 mS. I found this to be quite comforting: the conductivity standard from American Marine and the Aquacraft calibration fluid both agree that 35ppt salinity is the exact same value.

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be sending off a new Triton test really soon (whenever I can make time to do a smattering of tests to compare to the Triton results), and I'll be interested to find out if my new salinity calculates out closer to 35 ppt using Jim's spreadsheet.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calculating out the major Elements from an ICP-OES test available to us to mail in gets close but IME calculates under the Salinity of the sample.

Yes it makes sense, but low by much do you think? I have 3.5 ppt difference. It would seem to me that the charts shouldn't be off by more than 0.5-1 ppt.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back