Call me The DinoQueen

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so back at another treatment plan after a couple of weeks ago doing a week of cleaning filters everyday and dosing 3% peroxide at night and lowest setting of blue light to having dinos back full swing. This round I plan on doing total blackout with the tank taped up so zero light will be able to get in. I've taken all of my livestock out and put in the frag tank because I don't want to risk their little lives after total blackout in December followed by the tank crashing. I will do a 3 day blackout with bubbler running 24/7 and dosing peroxide at night. I will run carbon and filter floss in the cannister and changing everyday. I've taken all of my rockwork and everything out of tank and will be scrubbing rocks and removing any pests and will be manually removing as many dinos from the tank as possible. Then putting the rockwork back in with the corals, and starting the blackout. After seeing all my clowns together in their little colony I believe I will start a colony in the main tank after all this has settled! They're so cute! Wish me luck guys! I will be posting updates.

20210708_225402.jpg 20210708_225543.jpg 20210708_225519.jpg

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled dinos for over 2 years. I tried everything that was posted on here and even dosed Clorox bleach twice a day. Got a 25 watt and 15 watt uv sterilizer from brs and ran them for a month, then only keep 25 watt running 24/7 and no dinos. Do yourself a favor and get a big uv, blow off the rock a couple times a day and stir the sand so the dino go into the water to be sterilized. In a few days they will die back, and can't reproduce.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled dinos for over 2 years. I tried everything that was posted on here and even dosed Clorox bleach twice a day. Got a 25 watt and 15 watt uv sterilizer from brs and ran them for a month, then only keep 25 watt running 24/7 and no dinos. Do yourself a favor and get a big uv, blow off the rock a couple times a day and stir the sand so the dino go into the water to be sterilized. In a few days they will die back, and can't reproduce.
I knew someone would say it lol. Unfortunately I made my boyfriend go out one night after work to get me a UV sterilizer, it was I think $130 started using it and nothing was happening so I checked the wattage and he got a 3Watt.... lol we had a nice argument about that because I used it past the 7 day return window and didn't realize it was below 18w until it was too late. He told me tonight he thinks I should just throw in the towel because it's too much with 4 tanks, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 sugar bears and a 3 yr old, haha there's no way he's going to get me another sterilizer.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew someone would say it lol. Unfortunately I made my boyfriend go out one night after work to get me a UV sterilizer, it was I think $130 started using it and nothing was happening so I checked the wattage and he got a 3Watt.... lol we had a nice argument about that because I used it past the 7 day return window and didn't realize it was below 18w until it was too late. He told me tonight he thinks I should just throw in the towel because it's too much with 4 tanks, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 sugar bears and a 3 yr old, haha there's no way he's going to get me another sterilizer.
Maybe I should start a UVster fundme haha

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.M.G.

If you only knew how to brew your own Tetraselmis phyto and dosed like 24ozs a night, you would have zero problems

I feed my tank where most ppl would be like WHOA.

So much diced up fresh seafood that my water is cloudy for hours.. But I dose 24-32 ozs of live straight from the brewing station tetraselmis phyto that it all balances out.

No algae.
No Dino, cyno
NO3 is stable at 5

I have a lil problem with po4 wanting to jump over 0.5 but nothing that my weekly dose of lanthanum won't solve

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.M.G.

If you only knew how to brew your own Tetraselmis phyto and dosed like 24ozs a night, you would have zero problems

I feed my tank where most ppl would be like WHOA.

So much diced up fresh seafood that my water is cloudy for hours.. But I dose 24-32 ozs of live straight from the brewing station tetraselmis phyto that it all balances out.

No algae.
No Dino, cyno
NO3 is stable at 5

I have a lil problem with po4 wanting to jump over 0.5 but nothing that my weekly dose of lanthanum won't solve
Never heard of it. You can message me and give me more info on it if you want I believe once I start back ab+ and dose phosphate to acceptable levels everything will be fine.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so back at another treatment plan after a couple of weeks ago doing a week of cleaning filters everyday and dosing 3% peroxide at night and lowest setting of blue light to having dinos back full swing. This round I plan on doing total blackout with the tank taped up so zero light will be able to get in. I've taken all of my livestock out and put in the frag tank because I don't want to risk their little lives after total blackout in December followed by the tank crashing. I will do a 3 day blackout with bubbler running 24/7 and dosing peroxide at night. I will run carbon and filter floss in the cannister and changing everyday. I've taken all of my rockwork and everything out of tank and will be scrubbing rocks and removing any pests and will be manually removing as many dinos from the tank as possible. Then putting the rockwork back in with the corals, and starting the blackout. After seeing all my clowns together in their little colony I believe I will start a colony in the main tank after all this has settled! They're so cute! Wish me luck guys! I will be posting updates.

20210708_225402.jpg 20210708_225543.jpg 20210708_225519.jpg
AND DOSING MICROBACTER7

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it. You can message me and give me more info on it if you want I believe once I start back ab+ and dose phosphate to acceptable levels everything will be fine.

Yeah... how do you think the World's Oceans aren't overrun with all kinds of problems? (Well other than climbing water temps and human waste/chemicals)

Bc phyto is running amuck neutralizing the Oceans. A natural balancing act.

There's a huge library of past posts. If you search keywords like "tetraselmis" or "phytoplankton" you'll see some deep discussions. It'll change your whole husbandry skillset.

I am.of the opinion that it's sad that sooooo many reefers suffer from Dino, cyan, algae and its all pretty much solved with turning your ecosystem into being dependent on nightly dosing of phytoplankton you brew yourself.

Search the keywords within R2R

Last edited:

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201103_104616.jpg

My brewing station where I cultivate 5 gals of tetraselmis phytoplankton every week

32 ozs goes in my DT with skimmer turned off 1hr before lights go out. 4hrs later Apex turns my skimmer back on.

During the 4hrs of live phytoplankton, everything along the "cycling" scale is being neutralized.

The phyto are lil Pac-Men gobbling up the Nitrates Nitrites leads to outbreaks

8-Bit Love GIF by PAC-MAN™

Last edited:

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201103_104616.jpg

My brewing station where I cultivate 5 gals of tetraselmis phytoplankton every week

32 ozs goes in my DT with skimmer turned off 1hr before lights go out. 4hrs later Apex turns my skimmer back on.

During the 4hrs of live phytoplankton, everything along the "cycling" scale is being neutralized.

This type of stuff is the new frontier that more people need to get on board with. Better for our systems on many fronts and so easy to do at home!

Curious what your reason is for dosing an hour before lights out? I typically dose mine at mid light cycle. Also, maybe i should consider turning the skimmers off when i do. I typically dont, oops!

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... how do you think the World's Oceans aren't overrun with all kinds of problems? (Well other than climbing water temps and human waste/chemicals)

Bc phyto is running amuck neutralizing the Oceans. A natural balancing act.

There's a huge library of past posts. If you search keywords like "tetraselmis" or "phytoplankton" you'll see some deep discussions. It'll change your whole husbandry skillset.

I am.of the opinion that it's sad that sooooo many reefers suffer from Dino, cyan, algae and its all pretty much solved with turning your ecosystem into being dependent on nightly dosing of phytoplankton you brew yourself.

Search the keywords within R2R

I never did have dino while using phyto so maybe that is the key. I still have some in the fridge not sure if it goes bad. I left it out one day and wasn't sure if it was ruined or not so I stopped using it. How can you tell if it's bad? Should I dose that as well or wait until after blackout?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did have dino while using phyto so maybe that is the key. I still have some in the fridge not sure if it goes bad. I left it out one day and wasn't sure if it was ruined or not so I stopped using it. How can you tell if it's bad? Should I dose that as well or wait until after blackout?
Refrigerated it will last (so they say) around 90 days if you take care of it. That means

nicole byer netflix GIF by NailedIt

Once a week or so.

Left out at room temp for one day will not ruin it.

I'd wait till after the blackout. Part of the often discussed benefits are that the phyto will photosynthesize and help remove nutrients as well as boost it's own energy content which is then potentially consumed by other inhabitants in your tank. Lots to read up out there on it.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after staying up until 6am last night I'm amazed at what I found.. my boyfriend bought the fluval g3 last October and promised he would take care of all the maintenance on it. Well that lasted a week lol. So when I took over he explained I only needed to take out these 2 cylinders to change the filters, which was odd to me because it was just one for chemical filtration and a wire mesh one for chemical. I just thought newer filters were doing less filtration these days, I DIDNT KNOW THE WHOLE BOTTOM OF THE FILTER HAD BIO RINGS AND LOTS OF SPONGES!!! That being said, these have not been changed in 10 months! When I washed them it looked like a legit mud puddle, it was ghastly. So now I'm confused because how have I had such low nitrates at 15 and 0 ammonia and nitrite with all that gunk in there??

Ashy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201103_104616.jpg

I can finally combine my experience (and equipment) as a brewer to the hobby!

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to do a new aquascape, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Today I plan on taping up the tank and blackout starting in the morning

Attachments

• 20210709_132857.jpg
    20210709_132857.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after staying up until 6am last night I'm amazed at what I found.. my boyfriend bought the fluval g3 last October and promised he would take care of all the maintenance on it. Well that lasted a week lol. So when I took over he explained I only needed to take out these 2 cylinders to change the filters, which was odd to me because it was just one for chemical filtration and a wire mesh one for chemical. I just thought newer filters were doing less filtration these days, I DIDNT KNOW THE WHOLE BOTTOM OF THE FILTER HAD BIO RINGS AND LOTS OF SPONGES!!! That being said, these have not been changed in 10 months! When I washed them it looked like a legit mud puddle, it was ghastly. So now I'm confused because how have I had such low nitrates at 15 and 0 ammonia and nitrite with all that gunk in there??
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my point. Does the ocean use mechanical filtration?

The oceans use phytoplankton to gobble up most of the nutrients used by NO3 before it all becomes a hairy bacteria/algae soup of nuisance

...and you can too brewing your own phyto

539959983466.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back