Calling all Cube Pros!

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gal at my house but just started a 29 cube at the restaurant.
Wanted rimless but couldn't take a chance on some kid dropping some bacon in it so I chose the Biocube.
?Light upgrades?
?skimmer upgrades?
?Any other upgrades you would recommend?
Thanks in advance!
20161005_214203.jpg
20161005_214203.jpg
20161005_214213.jpg
20161005_214213.jpg

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g cube been running for about 7 years now I keep my equipment to a minimum I feel like its less stress. LPS dominnat. Lights I have a 360we kessil with remote, jebao wp10 , a heater and thats it lol I do 5g water changes every week and top off I made a ghetto rig that works great lol as far as a skimmer i wouldnt worry about one unless you have heavy stock/bio-load or depending water coral you keep.

OP
OP
MasterBacon

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g cube been running for about 7 years now I keep my equipment to a minimum I feel like its less stress. LPS dominnat. Lights I have a 360we kessil with remote, jebao wp10 , a heater and thats it lol I do 5g water changes every week and top off I made a ghetto rig that works great lol as far as a skimmer i wouldnt worry about one unless you have heavy stock/bio-load or depending water coral you keep.
I can't take my top off is your light upgrade in the top or you go topless?

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light set do you have, the PCs? If so and I'm guessing you want to keep the lid on, I would look at any one of the LED mod upgrades, they fit right into the lid. Skimmer depends on the stock and I used to use the Aquatic Life mini internal skimmer in my old BC29, worked great and fit into the first chamber. I also did one of those spinstream style return nozzles. Oh and I swapped out the stock return pump for a Rio, don't remember which one exactly, to increase the return flow.

OP
OP
MasterBacon

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light set do you have, the PCs? If so and I'm guessing you want to keep the lid on, I would look at any one of the LED mod upgrades, they fit right into the lid. Skimmer depends on the stock and I used to use the Aquatic Life mini internal skimmer in my old BC29, worked great and fit into the first chamber. I also did one of those spinstream style return nozzles. Oh and I swapped out the stock return pump for a Rio, don't remember which one exactly, to increase the return flow.
Pcs? It has one lame led with 2 u-shaped cheap lights. I have 3 XR30s gen4s on my other tank. I like the led but don't know which one everyone has had the most success with.
Edit: has to be in the hood. Tank is at the restaurant to keep fingers out!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals are you planning on?
I also have a BC29 and use stock lighting and just added the LED strips that they already provided the slots for.
I successfully have: Zoas, Hammers, Acan, Mushrooms, Black Sun Coral, Rock Nems, BTAs, ect

Chamber One: AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 with the airline modification.
Chamber Two: InTank Media Rack running filter floss on top and biospheres in the bottom
Chamber Two: InTank Chaeto Rack
Chamber Three: Upgrated to Cobalt Aquatics Power Head/Pump MJ1200
Jebao PP Series Wavemaker with Controller PP4

OP
OP
MasterBacon

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals are you planning on?
I also have a BC29 and use stock lighting and just added the LED strips that they already provided the slots for.
I successfully have: Zoas, Hammers, Acan, Mushrooms, Black Sun Coral, Rock Nems, BTAs, ect

Chamber One: AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 with the airline modification.
Chamber Two: InTank Media Rack running filter floss on top and biospheres in the bottom
Chamber Two: InTank Chaeto Rack
Chamber Three: Upgrated to Cobalt Aquatics Power Head/Pump MJ1200
Jebao PP Series Wavemaker with Controller PP4
Mostly soft but would love a small Birdsnest and grafted monti.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@TinpanVA has done amazing things with his bio cube. Maybe he can help with ideas.

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TinpanVA has done amazing things with his bio cube. Maybe he can help with ideas.

Hey hey hey! Thanks for the heads up brudda!

Ah, the good ole Biocube, I had a true love/hate relationship with mine. I had the HQI model, tons of upgrades and mods. What are you looking to keep? Nice rock scape by the way!

OP
OP
MasterBacon

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your viewing pleasure, my old build thread is https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/geeked-out-modified-29-gal-bc.139625/

and my favorite snapshot of the tank, not quite at it's prime, but you get the idea

FTS-25-Month-2-S_zps5ffbda49.jpg

When I was finally done, coral were just below the surface.
I want mine to look like yours hahahaha
Seriously, I want a light upgrade thinking XR15 Pro in the stock lid with extra vents. Skimmer, have to figure out what everyone keeps saying about airline mod?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 117 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back