Calling all dinos tank restarters

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to see how successful people were restarting a tank after having dinos. I have a feeling it will just happen in my new system. New everything not even keeping fish or corals.

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 32 gallon biocube. I was able to save fish but trashed all my LR and Sand and dead corals. I cleaned my tank with bleach and restarted without any issues from Dinos again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trying to see how successful people were restarting a tank after having dinos. I have a feeling it will just happen in my new system. New everything not even keeping fish or corals.
Im 2 for 2. After treatment, Never returned

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled my skimmer, no water changes and ignored my tank, other than feeding the fish for a few months. Sps packed 24 months later.
I’m over trying to get them out of my tank. Tried it all. Nitrates at 10ppm phosphate 0.07ppm, tried dosing microbacter 7, pods, 36 watt UV light running 24/7, raising PH, more flow, raised temp to 83°, H2O2 dosed, Dino-x, and did multiple 5 day blackouts. I’m just done with the frustration. Lol i have had the dinos for 5 years now, and i only have a purple tang left so it’s not a big deal to restart the tank now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. What are you doing to treat dino?
Nothing anymore. I’m done with that tank. But i tried literally everything recommended in the forums. H2O2 dosing, microbacter 7, 36 watt UV, removed all sand, got nutrients to 10ppm nitrate and 0.07 phosphate, stopped water changes, siphoned them into a filter sock whatever nights i was around to do so, dosed pods, raised PH, and I’m sure there are a couple I’m missing. Iv just had it with them and ready to restart the tank. The reason dinos started in the first place was from carbon dosing about 5 years ago.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to restart, pull all live stock and bleach dose the tank, see if that does anything. Like one ml per ten gallons to start. It would be a good experiment. take notes and see what it does. There is a guy on here who bleach doses his reef daily. I’ll try to find the thread.

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything too Peroxide UV. Dino X Silica dosing, copepods and increasing nutrients. Finally gave up after 6-8 months and restarted the tank Had Procentrum Dinos and couldn’t eradicate them Was easier to just Toss everything and restart

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything too Peroxide UV. Dino X Silica dosing, copepods and increasing nutrients. Finally gave up after 6-8 months and restarted the tank Had Procentrum Dinos and couldn’t eradicate them Was easier to just Toss everything and restart
Super frustrating! When you restarted did you use dry or live rock? I want to use dry so i don’t have hitchhikers, but i know dry rock is apparently prone to dinos.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done UV, MB7, raised PO4&NO3, heat to 83 degrees x4 days, 3-4 day blackouts, peroxide, currently crossing my fingers Vibrant might help? Also started reef flux for turf algae... this hobby went from fun to brutal really quick. I'm for sure doing at least partial live rock from now on. Biodiversity from the start sounds more logical. I'll take a risk with pests over increased dino chances again.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done UV, MB7, raised PO4&NO3, heat to 83 degrees x4 days, 3-4 day blackouts, peroxide, currently crossing my fingers Vibrant might help? Also started reef flux for turf algae... this hobby went from fun to brutal really quick. I'm for sure doing at least partial live rock from now on. Biodiversity from the start sounds more logical. I'll take a risk with pests over increased dino chances again.
When did you notice dinos? How far into owning the tank? Just the word gives me the heebie jeebies.

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on the same boat, fought dinos for 8 months, tried everything, but didnt accomplished anything besides slow it down at some point, dirty tank, vibrant, microbacter, UV, changing the filter pad every morning. Never beat dinos, nuked the tank, ran it for 3 weeks with fresh water and now its restarted with live rock, lets see how it goes.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you notice dinos? How far into owning the tank? Just the word gives me the heebie jeebies.
So about 5 years ago i started the tank with about 60lbs of dry pukini rock from BRS it went through the normal ugly phases of cyano, but that only last a couple weeks. It was a great looking tank for about a year. That’s when i started seeing elevated nitrates and water changes weren’t doing much so i decided to carbon dose with vinegar. I guess i went to fast and a week or so into the dosing i started to see dinos, and haven’t been able to beat it since. So it was roughly a year into the tank being setup.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m over trying to get them out of my tank. Tried it all. Nitrates at 10ppm phosphate 0.07ppm, tried dosing microbacter 7, pods, 36 watt UV light running 24/7, raising PH, more flow, raised temp to 83°, H2O2 dosed, Dino-x, and did multiple 5 day blackouts. I’m just done with the frustration. Lol i have had the dinos for 5 years now, and i only have a purple tang left so it’s not a big deal to restart the tank now.

Lord have mercy! What's the plan for the new tank setup?! Maybe a good time to sell that tank and upgrade?

Cycle some rock for while before setup?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. I've just passed a year. Also had nitrate issues. GHA issues. Dosed Vibrant. But slowly. Read how it can mess up a tank, and stopped dosing. Still have a lil rock with GHA. Just gonna leave it.

I'd rather deal with that then "the dinos"

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 123 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back