Can’t keep Alk up

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is I can’t get it to 7 lol. I’m already dosing about 48mL daily via doser. Trying to add 48 more to get it above 7 currently
Just a thought. Have you checked the calibration of your doser recently? Perhaps it is not dosing as much as you expect it to. If your doser offers a calibration function, it may be worth a try.

Dennis

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. Have you checked the calibration of your doser recently? Perhaps it is not dosing as much as you expect it to. If your doser offers a calibration function, it may be worth a try.

Dennis
I for sure can check this out. I do know I just dosed 60 mL which is 1.5x the amount usually dosed on top of what I’m currently dosing on my doser and it didn’t move any. I’m going to wait another hour and test again…

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone ripped me off with my alk maybe? I bought a couple 3 gallon buckets of esv that a guy said he used a little bit of and now didn’t need. Maybe he over diluted the alk as there was much more gone from that bucket? Why I was curious if I could test the potency of the alk solution @Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone ripped me off with my alk maybe? I bought a couple 3 gallon buckets of esv that a guy said he used a little bit of and now didn’t need. Maybe he over diluted the alk as there was much more gone from that bucket? Why I was curious if I could test the potency of the alk solution @Randy Holmes-Farley

OK, we can use a calculator to determine that 0.89 ml of B-ionic alk part added to 1 L of tank water or RO/DI will boost the alk by 7 dKH.

So try something like that and then test it.

(note: the calculator rounds 0.89 mL to 0.8, so to get more significant figures, do the calculation for 10 or 100 L and divide by 10 or 100 to see the proper amount needed)

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, we can use a calculator to determine that 0.89 ml of B-ionic alk part added to 1 L of tank water or RO/DI will boost the alk by 7 dKH.

So try something like that and then test it.

(note: the calculator rounds 0.89 mL to 0.8, so to get more significant figures, do the calculation for 10 or 100 L and divide by 10 or 100 to see the proper amount needed)
Spot on rodi to 7dkh after adding .8mL to 1 L of water. So it’s not diluted which means it has to be precipitating out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on rodi to 7dkh after adding .8mL to 1 L of water. So it’s not diluted which means it has to be precipitating out.

Or otherwise being consumed. :)

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could set up a gallon of premix and test the potency of the ALK product your using. But I would suggest a secondary testing method to make sure you have at least 2 reference Points.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could set up a gallon of premix and test the potency of the ALK product your using. But I would suggest a secondary testing method to make sure you have at least 2 reference Points.
Did you read above? Tested potency and is accurate with what it should be. I also test my water change water to confirm it’s in range with what’s expected with a fresh mix. All lined up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back