Can’t Raise Alkalinity

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need some help. I use Brightwell code A and B to maintain alk and ca. For over a year, I had to dose every other day to maintain levels. After my corals grew, I moved to everyday. I couldn’t keep up, so a month ago I added a doser and now I’m up to 25ml every day. But my alk has dropped from 8.0 to 7.0 (sometimes less). How can I get up to 8.0? I increased dosing to 50ml and nothing happened so I dropped back down.

Do I just need to add even more? Should I just dose alk? Should I dose some kalkwasser to get back up and then maintain from there? Ideas please!

90 gallon system
8.0 ph
400 ca
7.0 alk
1.026 sg
1350 mg
0 phos, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia

Thanks!!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly suggest using one of the reef dosing calculators.
The amount you are dosing does seem high. But , I don’t know your alk uptake nor your water volume. Nor do I know how much the alk product raises it in one gallon. That’s the important bit.

Some don’t make much impact and you have to dose quite a bit. Some are very concentrated. ESV and Randy’s diy from BRS are good examples of this.

As far as finding the correct amount , you are doing it correct. Slowly adding a bit more WEEKLY.

Slow rises and falls are not generally harmful. Except in the extremes.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find you are dosing a lot you might think about running a calcium reactor.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right. Code B is the alk supliment and normal dosing is 5ml per 25 gal. So in your case 20 to 25 ml should be all you need per day.
What is mag levels at?

Nvm I saw 1350 ppm on mag. That's normal.
I guess you can try replacing Code B to soda ash or baking soda a d using the reef calculated you need to k ow how much your tank depletes daily on alk and dose accordingly.

Let's see what other have to say.

OP
OP
J

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right. Code B is the alk supliment and normal dosing is 5ml per 25 gal. So in your case 20 to 25 ml should be all you need per day.
What is mag levels at?

Nvm I saw 1350 ppm on mag. That's normal.
I guess you can try replacing Code B to soda ash or baking soda a d using the reef calculated you need to k ow how much your tank depletes daily on alk and dose accordingly.

Let's see what other have to say.

I just dosed 25ml of B. It raises it to 8.0. I’ll keep the doser running and see if it stabilizes. It may be fleeting because when I increased my doser nothing happened. But I spread that out over the day. A larger dose at one time moved the needle but not sure it will stick. I’ll let you know.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing a number is shooting dart in the dark. First off you need to know how much alk does your tank consume daily then dose accordingly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back