Can’t raise nitrates - white slo

Dramsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates won’t rise, slime from bacteria bloom.

I can’t seem to get the nitrates to rise, currently sitting at 0.0 or 0.03 and dosing to try and raise them. As I slowly get them up to about 0.05 the tank breaks out with a bacterial bloom that causes white smile to grow rapidly and clog the filter. Constant dosing of nitrates seems to slow the slime but still can’t seem to get them to rise to desired levels and slime free

I’m not dosing carbon. PO4 is steady at 0.04 all tests being done in a Hanna PH checker and cross checked with new batch of reagent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates won’t rise, slime from bacteria bloom.

I can’t seem to get the nitrates to rise, currently sitting at 0.0 or 0.03 and dosing to try and raise them. As I slowly get them up to about 0.05 the tank breaks out with a bacterial bloom that causes white smile to grow rapidly and clog the filter. Constant dosing of nitrates seems to slow the slime but still can’t seem to get them to rise to desired levels and slime free

I’m not dosing carbon. PO4 is steady at 0.04 all tests being done in a Hanna PH checker and cross checked with new batch of reagent.
Are you sure the slime is a bacteria bloom.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dramsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
Are you sure the slime is a bacteria bloom.
Not 100% sure, from all the research I have done its most likely that / some form of heterotrophic bacteria.

Currently not dosing anything apart from some Iodine & Nitrates as levels are low. If anything this seems to help reduce it.

One of the other threads seem to have the same issue and found a solution will try this..

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back