Can’t stop calcium increasing

  • Thread starter Thread starter mfollen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
1,853
Location
Chicago, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

My calcium has slowly raised from 430 to 530 and now 570.

I am only dosing alkalinity and magnesium.

Previously my magnesium was low (1260) so not sure if the extra precipitation while dosing kalkwasser drove the CA from 430 to 530...
Once I hit 530, I took the kalkwasser offline and have only been dosing alk (Sea chem reef fusion2) and mag. During this time I expected the CA to decrease, but it has only risen.

Any idea why CA is still raising?

I have to dose Alk daily as I do have a number of small SPS frags growing, so CA should be getting consumed.

I’m worried that the CA gets any higher. Thank you!!
 
What magnesium product are you using?

Tap water can have substantial calcium in it.

Some salt mixes also have very high calcium.
 
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley

Since conducting a water changer that got calcium down to 530, I’m now at 540 a week later..

The new saltwater used in the water change decreased calcium levels, so my source water is not the issue.

Could it be Seachem fusion 2 raising alkalinity? Fusion 1 is not being dosed.

The only other change during this time has been an increase in magnesium from 1320 to 1370-1380. Dosing the BRS pharma magnesium mix has been halted once the high value was noticed.

Any ideas as to what is causing the increase in calcium? I can not get it to go down with a 180 gallon mixed reef and a good amount of SPS frags which are showing slow and steady growth.

Thank you so much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new