Can a fluval fx6 filter handle a heavy bio load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval fx6 filter on my 55g and I have 5 fish right now but i got it because I know eventually I’m going to have at least 12-13 fish in this tank. Can this filter alone handle all that or would I need to set up a sump with a refugium and a protein skimmer along with the filter?

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be reluctant to recommend a canister filter for a saltwater tank under regular circumstances. They're not great at helping to aerate the water and they inevitably go too long without cleaning, leading to channelling of the water in them and ultimately excessive nutrient levels.

Probably need more information, like what fish etc.

On the face of it, right now, I would certainly lean towards a sump with the regular equipment, including a good skimmer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be reluctant to recommend a canister filter for a saltwater tank under regular circumstances. They're not great at helping to aerate the water and they inevitably go too long without cleaning, leading to channelling of the water in them and ultimately excessive nutrient levels.

Probably need more information, like what fish etc.

On the face of it, right now, I would certainly lean towards a sump with the regular equipment, including a good skimmer.
Can I attach my canister filter to a sump?

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And treat it as a return pump?

I would only do this if you plan on only putting sponge mechanical filters in the canister filter, or maybe adding some last stage chemical filtration, like carbon.

If you have the usual media in it you will still get nutrient problems unless you're diligently cleaning.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^this, canisters really need to be cleaned every 3 days or so to be good for reef tanks, fish only medium loads and cleaned every 5-7 days. You should also list the fish you wanted for a 55 gallon because 12-13 fish is way too many unless they are smaller fish even when full grown like gobies, firefish, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^this, canisters really need to be cleaned every 3 days or so to be good for reef tanks, fish only medium loads and cleaned every 5-7 days. You should also list the fish you wanted for a 55 gallon because 12-13 fish is way too many unless they are smaller fish even when full grown like gobies, firefish, etc.
Like 9 fish out of the 12 will be under 4 inches so most of them will be small

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species though?

For example, huge bioload difference between a mandarin goby and a bicolour blenny. Despite being similar size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species though?

For example, huge bioload difference between a mandarin goby and a bicolour blenny. Despite being similar size.
2 Clownfish
mandarin goby
Cardinalfish
Coral beauty
Yellow watchmen Goby
Yellow tang
Flame angel
Royal Grammy
Hawkfish
Fire goby

These are the fish I’m for sure getting or already have

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems excessive. I would do some cutting, and still replace the canister filter.

Some of those fish are quite territorial too.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I need to handle a bioload like that
a larger tank, also a yellow tang should not be put into a 55 gallon tank as they get too large. Dwarf angelfish are also very territorial and most of the time will kill each other in that size tank.
I would take the tang off and one of the dwarf angelfish and bioload should be good. I would also be wary of the hawkfish depending on species as they can eat smaller fish like the fire goby

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back