Can a skimmer really be oversized?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KGV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KGV

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Messages
287
Reaction score
135
Location
Belgium
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see often that your shouldn't get a skimmer that is too large for your system. Not considering price, is this really true? The argument seems to be that foam doesn't form in the neck. However, isn't this just a matter of waiting longer until a foam collar builds up?
 
I've always run oversized skimmers. My thinking is the skimmers are way overrated as to what they can actually handle in the first place. My last system had a custom made skimmer that was rated for a couple thousand gallons. I had about 1300g total thats going off the various tank sizes not actual water content. I think it has more to do with bioload in reality.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new