Can a Worm kill fish?

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month or two, I've had several fish disappear. The small gobies I understand -- they could hide forever in the rock I have. But now my firefish and hector's goby disappeared over the same 2-night span. No bodies. No traces.

I have nothing I know of that could kill them. I have seen a big, 6-inch worm that could be a fireworm. Too fast for me to catch, though. And I have a few large regular mushrooms -- but I'd think they'd leave bones behind if they were eating things. Any ideas what I should look for?

Spongie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about a worm but, I wouldn't rule it out. I would think a more likely culprit to be something like a Mantis shrimp or the like. You haven't been missing any corals lately have you? Did you try adding a cube of some frozen meaty food to try and coax all of the fish out of hiding?

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals are going missing, but the last two fish went missing after I didn't feed the the tank for about 2 days. I've tossed in frozen cyclops the last two days. Everything in the tank goes nuts. The neon goby (who never hides, anyway) goes into a feeding frenzy.

digidana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tank scott? in my 14g cube, my green stripe is hiding with the filter, and my purple firefish is in with the pump in the back. can't get the sucker out. my clown used to jump back there all the time and i'd scoop him out with a ladle. any chance they're in an overflow, etc?

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24G cube. And, nope, they are not back there. I just checked with a flashlight. They were very active fish before they disappeared. The only fish I have left that I've seen in a while is the neon goby -- and he never goes down into the rocks.

mkenochm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any big hairy mushrooms? I've got several and never had any trouble but have heard horror stories about them swallowing fish, like carpet anemones would. I've even found a couple of pictures of it online.

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of big red mushroom and one huge purple. None are hairy -- they are all smooth. I do not think they could close on the firefish, though, unless they bent over him. And even then, wouldn't I see bones left over?

digidana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bet is still that they're in the back. they get down in those nooks and crannies and are really hard to see...

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that worms can eat fish. At our swap, one of the chatt reefers brought a worm that he caught in his tank that was a fish and coral eatter. I don't know if this is the case with you, but I would try to get out the large worm for safe measure. I recently lost my McCoster's flasher wrasse (about a week ago). There is no trace at all. I thought that my tiger pistol buried him alive or something-- not to sure if that is most likely. Wish I could help more. Where are the great randini and the all knowing cee when you need them?

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a Eunicid worm that was brought to our swap, and Scott has experience with those... I would be surprised if he has another one, depending upon where he got his rock from...

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked more like a fireworm than a eunicid. But no corals have gone missing -- just fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back