Can anyone actually keep a linckia starfish alive?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something else. Living in south Florida my A/C is on pretty much 24/7 I don't use a heater in my tanks .my tank temperature is always 80 or 81. If it jumps higher I always keep blocks of frozen R/O water in the freezer. Incase I need to cool the tank down.I know many reefers keep their tanks in the 70's maybe that's why the death rate is so high for blue stars. My water is warm and my stars thrive. would love to know the temperature of tanks that had the loss of stars just wondering...
I am on the warmer side....81 usually, sometimes up to 83 at max out....its a close eye....but then I haven't had one for 10 years....stop trying to convince me now, geez lol....oh and I'm in Canada so quit making me jealous of the weather right now too while you at it....although its 50 or so and sunny here tomorrow, light breeze so I will take it on a college football Saturday...

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some food for thought:

Attachments

• 5ra3hfe6uwf61.jpg
    5ra3hfe6uwf61.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 72

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little guy on my live rock.
It was alive and "happy" for 2 weeks then vanished. I thought was dead.
Then I put a goby in the tank and I think he uncovered it from under sand. I thought it was dead but still full of colour so left it on the sand.
I went to bed , it hadn't moved. Got up at 3am, it hadn't moved. Got up at 6am and it was gone again. So I still don't know yet if it's a live or not. It's les than an inch diameter
Linkia Star
by Peter Ede, on Flickr

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said-- what a holy grail species. Maybe if I get a 400 gallon tank I can wait 10 years and try not to kill one.
It just bugs me how they are so almost pushed at one or two of my LFS. Should be signed, experienced reefers please....either that or 'do you feel lucky today???'

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back