Can anyone identify this?

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I make it a habit to check my corals every day make sure everyone’s good, keep and eye out for pest and such. I noticed something popping out one of my favia corals and recently managed to take a pic and video. It honestly reminds me of a feather duster worm. I tend to see it pop out of the coral itself and then retract back in. I did dip my coral upon receiving it. I usually do a 5 min dip in coral rx, followed with a freshwater and then saltwater using my tank water. Whatever it is doesn’t seem harmful but I rather not take my chances of it becoming a problem. I can try and see if I can take a clearer photo/video if it’s hard for your guys to tell.

IMG_2733.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a barnacle - shouldn't cause any issues, but if it's in the coral, it may cause the coral to grow a little funny around it.
It’s not a barnacle it’s really hard to see once I uploaded it but it’s very clear on my phone. But like little feather like things pop in and out the coral. I feel like the video/photo isn’t helpful

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a barnacle it’s really hard to see once I uploaded it but it’s very clear on my phone. But like little feather like things pop in and out the coral. I feel like the video/photo isn’t helpful
100% it's a barnacle - the little feather thing that curls in sort of like a closing fist is how the barnacle feeds (if you Google "barnacle cirri" you'll see examples).

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quess would be some kind of worm. Probably benighn or beneficial if your corals don't seem bothered
It does remind me of a feather duster worm I just can’t find anything online that resembles it. I recently got this coral so I am keeping an eye out on its health to see if there are any changes

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% it's a barnacle - the little feather thing that curls in sort of like a closing fist is how the barnacle feeds (if you Google "barnacle cirri" you'll see examples).
WOAH you’re totally right! Didn’t know that’s how barnacles feed, that’s exactly what it looks like! Learn something new everyday, Thank you!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does remind me of a feather duster worm I just can’t find anything online that resembles it. I recently got this coral so I am keeping an eye out on its health to see if there are any changes
It's a barnacle. It pops out and waves at you and then pops back in, right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back