Can anyone tell what's wrong with my goby?

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was moving some rocks and he was under the rock I moved and he darted out. I can't tell if he hit the glass or if a rock fell on him. But I don't believe I hurt him with a rock because I lifted the rock straight up. He usually swims around eats and seems very lively. He's been laying down all day and doesn't seem like himself what should or could I do?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any photos? Is he on his side or something?

My goby has freaked out putting my hands in the tank.. swam/jumped up, hit my DIY lid, and quickly swam into a cave.. came out later that day for dinner.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any photos? Is he on his side or something?

My goby has freaked out putting my hands in the tank.. swam/jumped up, hit my DIY lid, and quickly swam into a cave.. came out later that day for dinner.
Thought I posted some I guess I made a mistake here are photos

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 81

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I only ask because I know it’ll help anyone more knowledgeable on the topic. I can’t really add any good advice (relatively new myself here). Hopefully someone else can provide more input though! Not sure if there’s much to do other than monitor the situation

Sorry I can’t be more help..

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is concerning - something would have to hit him pretty hard to do that though.
Any other recent changes to the tank?
This is him currently I have no idea what the heck's happening to him. No new changes I added fish but I believe he was acting weird before I added the fish I just didn't notice he was being weird I just seen him laying in the sand but no tips to him dying. He looks like he's a goner..

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 71

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hit something hard. This happened to my most prized tilefish. Tail bent…., there was nothing I could do other than keeping the water quality high. Within a day or two, he healed and was back to normal.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hit something hard. This happened to my most prized tilefish. Tail bent…., there was nothing I could do other than keeping the water quality high. Within a day or two, he healed and was back to normal.
He might've had gotten a concussion cause when I picked up the rock I didn't know he was under he swam fast and he was laying next to the glass I just hadn't noticed he hit the glass I suppose. Hopefully he recovers. He's breathing fine. Should I put him in a net. Do you think my hermit crabs or banded shrimp are going to try and kill him cause he's defenceless?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might've had gotten a concussion cause when I picked up the rock I didn't know he was under he swam fast and he was laying next to the glass I just hadn't noticed he hit the glass I suppose. Hopefully he recovers. He's breathing fine. Should I put him in a net. Do you think my hermit crabs or banded shrimp are going to try and kill him cause he's defenceless?
My banded shrimp probably would, hard to say.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded shrimp probably would, hard to say.
i put him in a large net for the night gonna monitor him for a few hours then go to bed. i already had some melafix in the water for a fish with a torn fin so hopefully that helps.. The shrimp definitely tried dragging the goby to a cave so i had no choice but to net since i have no QT or sump

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put him in a large net for the night gonna monitor him for a few hours then go to bed. i already had some melafix in the water for a fish with a torn fin so hopefully that helps.. The shrimp definitely tried dragging the goby to a cave so i had no choice but to net since i have no QT or sump
Melafix doesn’t actually do anything, all you’re doing by using it is pouring a contaminant into the water.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix doesn’t actually do anything, all you’re doing by using it is pouring a contaminant into the water.
wait so melafix doesnt help a fish's torn fin heal quicker its not a antibiotic? Should i be concerned since i added it? will that eat my bacteria or kill any of the plankton i have?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t have any adverse effects (assuming the aeration is good), but just does nothing (or minimal) to help. It is nothing more than tea tree oil, and lacks in any good antibiotic properties.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back