Should I Move My Yasha Goby's Home?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yasha goby that lives in a large moonsnail shell. He used to live in a candy pistol shrimp burrow, but the shrimp decided the shell was easier to maintain and the goby followed. When the shrimp died after a failed molt, the goby decided the shell was prime real estate and he stayed there. Because of hair algae, I recently removed and scrubbed some of the rocks in the tank, which caused my bubble tip anemone to move a little bit in protest. Now the anemone's tentacles are blocking the goby's exit for most of the daylight hours, and he isn't coming out except to eat now. It has only been 3 days, so the goby could still be stressed from the tank maintaince and the anemone might move back. Should I move his shell to a different area of the tank or leave him be? Also, since I'm already asking about him, how do I introduce another pistol shrimp? Should I remove his shell if/when I get him a new shrimp? My LFS has a tiny baby candy pistol shrimp (quite a bit less than 1cm long, the smallest I've ever seen for sale). Would the goby or other tank inhabitants eat it if it's that small? I miss seeing the shrimp and goby together.

17121868139807028954998714698902.jpg 17121868502995256540475894488244.jpg 20240403_192824.jpg

Dawagner3240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good, my Yasha moves his home regularly to follow along with his shrimp buddy. Yours will either follow with the shell or make a new home decision.

EDIT: to add your second question, no, the goby won't eat a smaller candy cane pistol. Mine was tiny and they paired up just the same. Just dropped him, in my goby saw and swam over immediately to touch his tail to the new guy and followed him to the rock work.

Your clown may try to investigate/bite when you first put him in but just be prepared to push him off and away untill the new shrimp can get to the base of the rock.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good, my Yasha moves his home regularly to follow along with his shrimp buddy. Yours will either follow with the shell or make a new home decision.

EDIT: to add your second question, no, the goby won't eat a smaller candy cane pistol. Mine was tiny and they paired up just the same. Just dropped him, in my goby saw and swam over immediately to touch his tail to the new guy and followed him to the rock work.

Your clown may try to investigate/bite when you first put him in but just be prepared to push him off and away untill the new shrimp can get to the base of the rock.
^ agree

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back