Do I need a pistol shrimp for my Yasha Goby? + it’s overall wellbeing

Tybalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought a yasha goby and pistol shrimp (with no pinchers) pair a while ago, but I’ve only ever seen that goby. However, around last I walked up to my tank and saw the pistol shrimp chopped in half. But, the yasha goby was still in his cave in between two pieces of live rock. He still ate everything was fine. However, when I came up to my tank today, my tomini tang had backed up the goby into a corner and was slapping him with his tail - but this is normal behavior as it does the same thing to my starry blenny and flamehawk. I’ve also seen the tang try to go in between the space where their burrow was. As soon as the tang saw me it ran. But now the yasha goby is swimming at the top of the tank and swims into places of the tank he has never been. I feed the tank and he’s not eating anymore. Could this be because he is stressed? Could this be because he needs a shrimp to make burrows for him? I NEED THE INFO!

IMG_0679.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
not necessarily, but i would take that into consideration. randall's (or candy cane) pistol shrimp will pair fairly easy with a yasha.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of thoughts from me here - could the chopped in half shrimp have been a shrimp molt, or did it have meat inside? Pistol shrimp can regrow their claws with enough food and good water/environmental conditions, but it takes a month or two. It likely doesn't need the shrimp to survive as long as it has a hiding place, but I'd imagine it would feel less stressed with one.

That said, it sounds like you've got some pretty bad tang aggression happening here, and that definitely wouldn't help with the goby's stress. Do all the fish have enough hiding spaces and food? How big is the tank?

OP
OP
T

Tybalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of thoughts from me here - could the chopped in half shrimp have been a shrimp molt, or did it have meat inside? Pistol shrimp can regrow their claws with enough food and good water/environmental conditions, but it takes a month or two. It likely doesn't need the shrimp to survive as long as it has a hiding place, but I'd imagine it would feel less stressed with one.

That said, it sounds like you've got some pretty bad tang aggression happening here, and that definitely wouldn't help with the goby's stress. Do all the fish have enough hiding spaces and food? How big is the tank?
It’s a 65 gallon all in one tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
T

Tybalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be getting worse. I think he might be sick. Over the last hour he’s gradually loosing color and his ability to stay put on the ground. Like some sort of swim bladder issue. I dosed some sulfaplex for good measure. Do y’all think I could do anything more or dose other medication or is he a goner? He’s still moving around the tank though.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 48

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be getting worse. I think he might be sick. Over the last hour he’s gradually loosing color and his ability to stay put on the ground. Like some sort of swim bladder issue. I dosed some sulfaplex for good measure. Do y’all think I could do anything more or dose other medication or is he a goner? He’s still moving around the tank though.
That's a question for the #fishmedic - I hope it's okay!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would set up a hospital tank if you can - and treat with an antibiotic (broad spectrum) IF and ONLY IF, there is a definite swim bladder issue. I'm not sure what's available in your area as far as which one. If at all possible can you give more history - how long you've had it, any other fish problems, any other symptoms? Was the fish quarantined?

However, there is a big aggression issue here - and the coloration, etc may be stress related. Sometimes a mirror (small) outside the tank can distract the tang from other fish. Hope this helps

OP
OP
T

Tybalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help, but he unfortunately passed a few hours ago. From your guys suggestions and reading the internet, I’m going to assume the tang mush of hit him hard stressed him out too much and possibly his swim bladder, as he was fine yesterday. I’ve been looking into getting a mirror for him to get distracted. Thank you all so much for your help. If you have any other suggestions abt aggression j let me know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for the help, but he unfortunately passed a few hours ago. From your guys suggestions and reading the internet, I’m going to assume the tang mush of hit him hard stressed him out too much and possibly his swim bladder, as he was fine yesterday. I’ve been looking into getting a mirror for him to get distracted. Thank you all so much for your help. If you have any other suggestions abt aggression j let me know.
you're welcome

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back