Confused Yasha Goby and Shrimp

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a yasha goby and candy pistol shrimp on Wednesday. They spend a few days in an acrylic box in the tank so that my 6 lined wrasse leaves them alone. Today I added them to the main tank, and they stuck together! I have no idea why though. The shrimp decided it's too lazy to make a burrow and is living in a shell. The goby decided that wasn't an issue and joined him. The goby hasn't left the shell even when the pistol shrimp ventured out for building materials, so the goby isn't acting as a very good lookout. I don't know what each one gets out of this relationship, but hey. I'm not complaining! Feel free to give me some name suggestions!

20231202_164012.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How are they doing, now that it's a several days later?
Have you seen your yasha eat? Has it come out of the shell?
They're great little fish!

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing, now that it's a several days later?
Have you seen your yasha eat? Has it come out of the shell?
They're great little fish!
They come out of the shell for food and materials, but they are dead set on making it their home lol. The goby is super active and the shrimp is always moving sand around... I don't know where he is moving it to, but I guess instincts are instincts. The goby started eating pellets yesterday and has been eating mysis since day 2. Thanks for asking!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Excellent! They're such a neat pair to watch. I think they look adorable in the shell lol

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You are very lucky, I haven't seen either of mine in a week!
Mine lasted a week or 2.. I'm pretty sure she starved b/c the paired pistols are greedy and Felicia my maroon clown is a real B.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the shrimp seems to have moved out of the shell or possibly worse. I haven't seen him all day and yesterday he seemed a but stressed because I was having issues with my light and was plugging it in and unplugging it a lot. He blocked the burrow shut but the fish kept opening it back up to get in and out, so I think he had enough of that and moved under the main rock structure. Hopefully the goby will find him again, but I doubt it has any motivation to leave a perfectly good shell home. Maybe I'll forcefully reunite them when I move houses in May and have to pack the tank up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back