Can cyano transfer on inverts

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR that I battled cyano and gha when nutrients got high. I’ve got my numbers under control now and the cyano is 98% gone. I added turbo snails for the gha and it is completely gone. I have some gha in my reef tank and would like to split the turbo up to make sure they have enough food. Do I need to worry about transferring the cyano with the snails or should I just rinse before I place them. Thanks

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria exist in more or less every tank. Their population explode into overgrown mats in the right growth conditions. I wouldn't worry about transferring cyanobacteria from one tank to the other as it's likely already in the cyano free tank. One thing to consider is if you move quite a few big snails to eat the algae in your reef tank, that can create the conditions to get a cyano bloom. Hair algae is very effective at outcompeting cyano for nutrients

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, you can't keep cyano out of your tank, not if you want to add literally anything- and it'd probably show up in a completely dry rock, bare tank with nothing ever added. I guarantee it's already in your other reef, just not blooming.

Cyano blooms happen when something is out of whack. Keep things in whack, and you'll be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%

Back