Can different species of wrasse become mated pairs?

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that wrasses often breed in captivity, but are unlikely to produce offspring. While this might be a dumb question, I wondered if it might be possible for two wrasse of a different species to become a mated pair. I'm not interested in whether they are likely to produce or attempt to produce offspring, as that likely wouldnt work anyways, but I have a 6 line and a leapard who are always together. They don't fight, but they never leave each others side. I was wondering if they might have become a mated pair or if there might be some answer as to what this behavior is?

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Movie GIF

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have seen a post of a 6 line and 4 line but not likely possible with a leopard.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know if no wrasses in different genera actually releasing eggs and mating. Never seen a video or heard of it. Swimming around together is not spawning.

A mated pair will get active at dusk and dart together quickly with their bodies pressed together… the female will release eggs and the male will broadcast fertilize them.

I saw one of a sixline and 4 line from million years ago on reef central.

Keep in mind that some fish swimming together is just one sizing up the other. I have seen this mistake when people say.. my Coral Beauty and Flame Angel are best friends! Not saying this is happening but not every friendly appearing interaction really is.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that some fish swimming together is just one sizing up the other. I have seen this mistake when people say.. my Coral Beauty and Flame Angel are best friends! Not saying this is happening but not every friendly appearing interaction really is.
Completely agree. Unless the OP’s tank is pretty large it’s likely just a matter of time before the six-line turns on the leopard.

OP
OP
Lllrrr232

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect OP was meaning something more along the lines of swimming together, and less about actual spawning.
Exactly, i know they can't spawn, but some animals form connections despite that so i was wondering if it was possible they just really enjoyed each others company or something!
Completely agree. Unless the OP’s tank is pretty large it’s likely just a matter of time before the six-line turns on the leopard.
And my tank is a 75 gallon and they've never fought before, but i will keep an eye out either way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%

Back