Carpenter Wrasse Pair?

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at Petco and they had their Carpenter’s Wrasse on sale for 50% off (comes out to around $25). I noticed they had 2 in one tank and when I asked, they said they’ve had them for around 6 months - which was why they were on sale.

Based on that, they’re either a pair or two females correct? I know wrasses can change their sex and wondering if one would change if it hasn’t already. A pair of Carpenter Wrasses for $50 seems like a steal so wanted to ask!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at Petco and they had their Carpenter’s Wrasse on sale for 50% off (comes out to around $25). I noticed they had 2 in one tank and when I asked, they said they’ve had them for around 6 months - which was why they were on sale.

Based on that, they’re either a pair or two females correct? I know wrasses can change their sex and wondering if one would change if it hasn’t already. A pair of Carpenter Wrasses for $50 seems like a steal so wanted to ask!
Without a photo it’s hard to say for sure if there even is a female out of the 2. One thing about pairs is they’re a trap, especially with Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species. The reason I saw this is;
People buy pairs and even trios thinking it will work because ‘naturally’ they are found this way. This is only the case with the Macropharyngodon, Anampses, Pseuojuloides, Pseudocheilinops and Smaller Halichoeres species. Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species are more commonly found in huge groups of 30-60. Within each group you have the majority of Juveniles/Females, usually 2-3 Dominant Males depending on how big the group is, and maybe 10-15 Sub Males that may show the signs of transitioning but also may still appear female.
Now, knowing this you can get an idea of why these ‘pairs’ are likely to be death traps. Unless in huge tanks, two or more males will not get along. The reason I say two males and not a female and a male is because even with a dominant male in the tank, that won’t always prevent the transition with pairs. There’s times where a breeding male can prevent the transition but I find it’s usually in extremely large tanks.

Also, if they’re confirmed mccosker’s then chances are high they are two males. Especially if they look identical. Here is a mature male;
IMG_8732.jpeg

And a juvenile or female;
IMG_8733.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really good to know thanks! They also had a single McCoskers for the same price (definitely a male) so maybe I’ll do that instead. It’s eating pellets and frozen and has been there for over 6 months as well so looks fat and healthy.
If the other two are female, get one of them. Females tend to last quite a bit longer than males will.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a photo it’s hard to say for sure if there even is a female out of the 2. One thing about pairs is they’re a trap, especially with Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species. The reason I saw this is;
People buy pairs and even trios thinking it will work because ‘naturally’ they are found this way. This is only the case with the Macropharyngodon, Anampses, Pseuojuloides, Pseudocheilinops and Smaller Halichoeres species. Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species are more commonly found in huge groups of 30-60. Within each group you have the majority of Juveniles/Females, usually 2-3 Dominant Males depending on how big the group is, and maybe 10-15 Sub Males that may show the signs of transitioning but also may still appear female.
Now, knowing this you can get an idea of why these ‘pairs’ are likely to be death traps. Unless in huge tanks, two or more males will not get along. The reason I say two males and not a female and a male is because even with a dominant male in the tank, that won’t always prevent the transition with pairs. There’s times where a breeding male can prevent the transition but I find it’s usually in extremely large tanks.

Also, if they’re confirmed mccosker’s then chances are high they are two males. Especially if they look identical. Here is a mature male;
IMG_8732.jpeg

And a juvenile or female;
IMG_8733.jpeg
I agree with @i cant think .
It is difficult to get Juvenile flasher and fairy wrasses that is absolute have not started on the changing process yet. IMO, it is an absolutely one-way road that cannot be reverse (not like in Centropyge angels where they can reverse sex change). Two male fairy wrasse of the same species is disaster in small tank, even with milder fairy like Lubbock Fairy. My experience with this was near disaster in a 360 gal tank.

I was able to get tiny Juvenile Eightline Flasher and Diamond Tail Flasher and was able to raise them as pairs. My tank is large, 360 gal with a lot of wrasses. My males are very dominant and flashes and court the females all day long which what I think is important to suppress the female development.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back