Wrasse or Other Fish Suggestions for my final addition

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a waterbox X 60.2 (55 gallon system, 38 gallon display). I have cycled my tank for 2 months. 1st month ghost feeding, second month with snails. I now after 4 months have 7 fish and want to add one final fish to finish it up and then keep maintaining it. I have a planned upgrade to a 4ft tank at the end of year.

Stock List.
1. Captive Bred Clown pair
2. Lawnmower Blenny
3. Bristletooth tang, tiny size
4. Blue tang, tiny tiny size
5. Diamond Watchman Goby
6. Carpenter or Mcockser Wrasse.

I had a Dottyback in there and he killed my rainford goby, so he is into the sump and will be given away. I’m looking for peaceful fish that will not harm anything and be a good addition to my tank.

The options available at my LFS are:

8 line Wrasse, red or yellow Coris wrasse, another Carpenter wrasse or a Lubbock Flasher Wrasse. I live in New Zealand and it’s hard to get fish at good prices. Something like a Royal Gramma would cost 300$. I am also open to other commonly available options if anyone has suggestions.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 4ft tank might be a bit small for your blue tang. I would go with a yellow wrasse (not a Coris, a Halichoeres chrysus. It's a misnomer). Or the Lubbock, which isn't a flasher, it's a fairy: Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. Should be good in both your current tank and your upgrade. You have a sand bed? Halichoeres wrasses sleep and hide in the sand.

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 4ft tank might be a bit small for your blue tang. I would go with a yellow wrasse (not a Coris, a Halichoeres chrysus. It's a misnomer). Or the Lubbock, which isn't a flasher, it's a fairy: Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. Should be good in both your current tank and your upgrade. You have a sand bed? Halichoeres wrasses sleep and hide in the sand.
Hi, thank you for the detailed reply. Yes, my LFS has agreed to take my blue tang if it gets big, so I think I am sorted on that front, unless I upgrade to a 6 Foot. Yes, I do have a sand bed and that is where my McCosker is sleeping currently.

So, the Lubbock is in stock here at my LFS and if it’s a mellow fish that doesn’t harass other fish I might just get that.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thank you for the detailed reply. Yes, my LFS has agreed to take my blue tang if it gets big, so I think I am sorted on that front, unless I upgrade to a 6 Foot. Yes, I do have a sand bed and that is where my McCosker is sleeping currently.

So, the Lubbock is in stock here at my LFS and if it’s a mellow fish that doesn’t harass other fish I might just get that.
It's meant to be on the more peaceful side of the fairy wrasses. @i cant think or @Slocke could tell you better its compatibility with your other fish.

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke and @i cant think

can you please shed some light on it ? I have an opprtunity to either get another McCosker or Lubbocks to add to my existing stock.

This will be my last addition and won’t be getting any other fish unless. Royal Gramma becomes available here in my city. I am looking to keep this tank for 12 months before upgrading to a 4 feet. Where I am
Hoping to take all these fish. I like seeing fish swim.

Thanks

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of shrimp goby with their shrimp is just the fish for you. They are very interesting fish. yellow head Jawfish pair would also something that is perfect for you. I would indeed consider rehome the blue tang (Atlantic ie the Pacific Hippo tang)
I do think a 55 gal is too small for most of the wrasses.

joli65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow coris is fun. Lubbock fairy is pretty but small and kinda boring. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back