Tank Compatibility and Final Additions

andrew2937

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I’ve got a 45 gallon AIO that’s about 8 months old now. We haven’t added anything new in a while and may be done or close to it but I wanted to get some opinions.

Current stocking:
2 Occelaris clowns (2”)
1 Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse (2.5”)
1 Purple Firefish (2.5”)
1 Royal Gramma (1.5”)
1 Starry Blenny (2”)
1 Coral Beauty (1.5”)

Current dynamics:
Coral Beauty is moderately aggressive towards firefish. Firefish doesn’t seem too stressed: will back off a few inches, they fight, coral beauty (surprisingly) loses every time. This has gone on for a few weeks and the CB is chilling out more and more

Flasher wrasse also messes with the firefish rarely - FF similarly is a boss and seems fine

Any ideas for adding another fish or 2?Already maxed out?

Ideas I’ve had/heard:
Banggai Cardinal(s)
Leopard/melanurus wrasse (small)
Springeri damsel (heard this one is so peaceful it may be okay?)
Blenny (what type?)
Any other gobies?

All ideas welcome!

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman goby and the damsel. Maybe a pearly jawfish if you got a decent sand bed and rocks arent stacked on it.Think melanris get a bit big for that size tank but are great fish. Springeri damsel good as well as azure damsel. I have the azure and he is always out and not aggressive at all.
Those clowns may not like new additions. My 2 are mean as hell and brutal on new additions. I put a mirror on the tank right in front of the duncan they hang out in a day before im adding new fish. They will attack themselves.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own personal opinion but I would call this a fully stocked tank. If there is quarrelling already then to me it means there is not enough territory for your current fish, adding more fish will cause more issue's IMO. The fish will grow and the quarrelling can increase

OP
OP
A

andrew2937

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman goby and the damsel. Maybe a pearly jawfish if you got a decent sand bed and rocks arent stacked on it.Think melanris get a bit big for that size tank but are great fish. Springeri damsel good as well as azure damsel. I have the azure and he is always out and not aggressive at all.
Those clowns may not like new additions. My 2 are mean as hell and brutal on new additions. I put a mirror on the tank right in front of the duncan they hang out in a day before im adding new fish. They will attack themselves.
We previously had a watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp - I thought the combo was super cool but eventually it seems like the shrimp killed the goby and we took the shrimp back to the store. Do watchman work fine without shrimp? I also heard we should have had a smaller shrimp like (Randal’s or a candy cane or something like that)

Do springeri damsels do something unique that azure won’t? I think I’ve heard springeri are the only ones that eat flatworms

So far the clowns have actually been okay! Super peaceful except with my hand when it’s been in the tank for more than a couple min. I’ve tried to get fish close to the same size and use an acclimation box so maybe that’s helped

OP
OP
A

andrew2937

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own personal opinion but I would call this a fully stocked tank. If there is quarrelling already then to me it means there is not enough territory for your current fish, adding more fish will cause more issue's IMO. The fish will grow and the quarrelling can increase
I could be done adding. Would this be something to observe like if they do settle down and it’s fine then I could add more?

Or maybe some of the options like a watchman goby that might stay towards the bottom could be good?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya watchman gobys do fine without pistol shrimp. I have 2 watchman gobys and a pistol and none of them hangout together. You have small fish so he will come out alot. I have bigger fish and he gets spooked easy by them. The smaller goby i only see about every 3 weeks. The bigger goby is always hanging out of his hole. Hardly ever see pistol just hear it alot. The more docile damsels are good additions. Not aggressive but handle themselves well.

My opinion a couple more different shaped small fish not of same family will be good.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d call your tank done, but 1 or 2 more fish isn’t going to kill you if you are willing to do more water changes if needed to keep quality up. I’d consider something very different shape and color like a Bangaii cardinal or something robust and sturdy, like a female lyre tail anthia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back