Can Purple Tangs and Cleaner Wrasses have Toxic Relationship?

Corrola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang and cleaner wrasse paired together. The cleaner wrasse would swim around the tang, cleaning and doing its thing.

I started noticing the cleaner wrasse would always go for the arm pits (both) of the purple tang.

Now the Tang’s armpits are white, as if the cleaner wrasse over a period of time sucked off the purple skin of the tang.

The Tang always welcomes the wrasse, but it’s skin is slowly being eaten by the wrasse.

Is this normal? I’ve read baby cleaner wrasses only eat dead skin, but once grown larger they go for polyps, but.. Tang skin?

The cleaner wrasse is a true cleaner wrasse.

Cleaner wrasse: 2.5” length
Tang: 3.5” length

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang and cleaner wrasse paired together. The cleaner wrasse would swim around the tang, cleaning and doing its thing.

I started noticing the cleaner wrasse would always go for the arm pits (both) of the purple tang.

Now the Tang’s armpits are white, as if the cleaner wrasse over a period of time sucked off the purple skin of the tang.

The Tang always welcomes the wrasse, but it’s skin is slowly being eaten by the wrasse.

Is this normal? I’ve read baby cleaner wrasses only eat dead skin, but once grown larger they go for polyps, but.. Tang skin?

The cleaner wrasse is a true cleaner wrasse.

Cleaner wrasse: 2.5” length
Tang: 3.5” length
Any photos of the cleaner?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the tang isnt developing HLLE? Agree picture would help. I would think if it bothered the tang he would let the wrasse know

OP
OP
C

Corrola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the cleaner wrasse in a different pod.

Now the Purple Tang’s “de-skinned” armpits are now beautiful and fully colored purple/blue again.

Indeed the wrasse was picking on the Tang’s skin.

I gave the wrasse away.

No Ich and no HLLE for sure. After the wrasse was done nipping on one armpit, it went for the other armpit lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back