Achilles tang… Is it worth it?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see all these stunning Achilles tangs and have always loved them. Now, in the near future I’m upgrading to a 5’x2’x2’ tank. This fish is one I’d love but wonder whether they’re worth it or not - 300 is the most I’ve spent on a fish so far so an Achilles would be the most.

Yes, the plan for the tank is to have it planned around swimming space - I have 2 Rabbits that will love the swim room.

I’m aware of aggression issues with Achilles tangs - I plan on no more tangs. The only exception would ever be an Achilles. But I do plan on wrasse dominant (With 3-4 other utility fish).

And just because, here is one of the rabbits :)
IMG_9201.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine has been a model citizen and a great fish. It will in time not put up with crap from other fish if provoked

660g progress pic68.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see the general consensus for these fish, I have a 4ft tank, I've discussed Achilles tangs with a few different people and would like to see what the consensus on them is, 4ft 120 gallon, good or too small?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would love to see the general consensus for these fish, I have a 4ft tank, I've discussed Achilles tangs with a few different people and would like to see what the consensus on them is, 4ft 120 gallon, good or too small?
5-6 ft tank would be better at minimum. Although mine is about 6.5", they commonly can achieve 8" and have a need for hiding area

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been a model citizen and a great fish. It will in time not put up with crap from other fish if provoked

660g progress pic68.jpg
Have you found yours to be a pain with disease?

I know it’s a case of keeping them fat and healthy but even then I’ve seen some that still get it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have you found yours to be a pain with disease?

I know it’s a case of keeping them fat and healthy but even then I’ve seen some that still get it.
Initially when i got it ( about 5 years ago), within 2 days, it had velvet and spread it across the tank, but I was able to stop it and win the battle in 6 days. Lost 3 fish at the time, but got them replaced Prior to Hawaii ban. Havent had an issue since

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially when i got it ( about 5 years ago), within 2 days, it had velvet and spread it across the tank, but I was able to stop it and win the battle in 6 days. Lost 3 fish at the time, but got them replaced Prior to Hawaii ban. Havent had an issue since
Any good way to measure if your tank has enough flow for them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've heard that higher flow for Achilles tangs is important, some areas of my tank definitely have very low flow
Never heard that and although I have moderate-medium - fish has always been happy. I saw many achilles in Hawaii and water was calm. I /we know coral have flow requirements---- 4+ decades of saltwater and never heard of a fish having flow requirements

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adding one to my 200g tank tomorrow - getting it from a friend who qd it for 90 days. Tank has had ich, all current residents are immune by now and have a strong UV light. Have one adult tang (forgot the name), fox face, swollowtail angelfish and a group of grumpy black 3 spot damselfish (trying to catch and get rid of these but it's not easy) and a few other smaller fish. Wish me luck.

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have one Achilles in my 300 g tank two months ago. There are ich in my tank already . All new tang add in will have small ich for a week or two then get over and developed immune to it . Achilles takes forever to get rid of ich . Now it’s much better . But he still has a little bit ich here and there on his body . He is fat and active and eat well . I got him and purple tang togather . Purple had ich for only one week. Then recovered .

Time will tell if ich will eventually disappear or not . Now I believe the term “ ich magnet “ to discribe Achilles tang

Triton_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really need at least 6 feet and that's probably on the small size TBH. They need the swimming length as from watching my achilles, it loved to swim against the current of the MP60 and was extremely active. I hated breaking my 6 ft tank down and rehoming the fish as getting a conditioned and healthy achilles is a challenge in itself.

Triton_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple pictures of my Achilles. I got him as a small specimen back in 2014 , had to rehome via my LFS in 2022 due to a big move. Grew to around 6-7" in a 6 ft tank over that timespan.

Back in 2014

achilles.jpg

Around 2022. Good eater and was healthy the whole time. QT works.

achilles 2022.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the opinions on a 5’ tank if it’s designed with large active fish in mind (I have a rabbit which will love the caves but also open swim room).

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the opinions on a 5’ tank if it’s designed with large active fish in mind (I have a rabbit which will love the caves but also open swim room).
Unfortunately that’s to small by some margin. Achilles tangs are truly a fish that needs its space and don’t do well if kept in to small tanks…something that happens often and, in my mind, contributes greatly to their reputation of being challenging to keep.

My guy can do a circle of my 200x80cm tank in about 2 seconds.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that’s to small by some margin. Achilles tangs are truly a fish that needs its space and don’t do well if kept in to small tanks…something that happens often and, in my mind, contributes greatly to their reputation of being challenging to keep.

My guy can do a circle of my 200x80cm tank in about 2 seconds.
This is where I find it gets split, some say 5’ is a minimum size and have got them thriving in this size and others like you say that it’s too small.

I’ll consider this for definite if I go for one and will have a lot of open swim room. Again, it’s still up in the air, but after my LFS having a thriving 2” specimen it’s become more tempting.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I find it gets split, some say 5’ is a minimum size and have got them thriving in this size and others like you say that it’s too small.

I’ll consider this for definite if I go for one and will have a lot of open swim room. Again, it’s still up in the air, but after my LFS having a thriving 2” specimen it’s become more tempting.
I have had an Achilles in a 150x70cm tank with loads of swimming space in the past and I can tell you from experience that it’s not a good idea long term. I will work for a year or two for a juvenile specimen but after that you will need to upgrade.

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 foot tank. It rips around it. Can't imagine 4 or 5 feet. It was introduced with two other tangs as same size juveniles. At close to adult size it decided it needed to be alone. Now the only tang in the tank. Certainly happiest with flow. I can observe mood change when pumps get cleaned.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Never heard that and although I have moderate-medium - fish has always been happy. I saw many achilles in Hawaii and water was calm. I /we know coral have flow requirements---- 4+ decades of saltwater and never heard of a fish having flow requirements
I saw one video (forgot who posted it on youtube) with the owner from marine collectors. He said they really need high flow tanks, like SPS, to thrive. He said they prefer really really crazy flow areas in the wild. He also said you can do smaller tanks IF the flow is sufficient to get them adequate exercise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back