Achilles tang… Is it worth it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I saw one video (forgot who posted it on youtube) with the owner from marine collectors. He said they really need high flow tanks, like SPS, to thrive. He said they prefer really really crazy flow areas in the wild. He also said you can do smaller tanks IF the flow is sufficient to get them adequate exercise.
Mine is over 5 years old in moderate to medium flow with No issues

1711122920690.png

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple pictures of my Achilles. I got him as a small specimen back in 2014 , had to rehome via my LFS in 2022 due to a big move. Grew to around 6-7" in a 6 ft tank over that timespan.

Back in 2014

achilles.jpg

Around 2022. Good eater and was healthy the whole time. QT works.

achilles 2022.jpg
That french angel is a HULK holy canoli!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Mine is over 5 years old in moderate to medium flow with No issues

1711122920690.png
No doubt. :) my post was referring to your post about replying to someone else. A lot of people probably saw this video of him talking about it, which is where it’s coming from.

At 39:30 speaks about flow. Must be another video as well about smaller tank with super high flow for exercise.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Otago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt. :) my post was referring to your post about replying to someone else. A lot of people probably saw this video of him talking about it, which is where it’s coming from.

At 39:30 speaks about flow. Must be another video as well about smaller tank with super high flow for exercise.

He also talks about it in this article: https://www.marinecollectors.com/blogs/news/how-to-pt1-success-with-acanthurus-tangs

EDIT: but in this more recent article a minimum of 6x2x2 with 2 MP60s at 100% is his recommended minimum :

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't like fish where if you even give them funny looks they blow up with white spots. :loudly-crying-face:
Even when i think i QT'd the fish, i somehow still end up getting white spots, and have to FALLOW all over again.

I just gave up on the entire Acanthurus or any other fish which has Acanthurus, and left things which have the words Acan only to corals.

Maybe i'll refine my QT process a bit more, but i did want a achillis, but i know in my system it would probably get ich in a week from me giving it too much attention and then die a week later.

So i'll leave them to the experts who perfected there QT methodology.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen you before advocating for a minimum 6ft tank for zebrasomas, why are you now believing an achilles can fit in a 5 foot?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen you before advocating for a minimum 6ft tank for zebrasomas, why are you now believing an achilles can fit in a 5 foot?
Honestly, Zebrasoma species I’ve found to be more aggressive than some Acanthurus species, activity wise the Acanthurus are often more active but aggression wise my worst tangs I’ve cared for with aggression were Zebrasomas, most specifically a Scopas.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve not cared for a Sohal or Clown long enough to say how nasty they are (albeit these tangs honestly shouldn’t be regularly seen in LFSs IMO). But I’ve cared for Achilles to the point that some did become aggressive but many seemed quite peaceful in the LFS holding tanks.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Zebrasoma species I’ve found to be more aggressive than some Acanthurus species, activity wise the Acanthurus are often more active but aggression wise my worst tangs I’ve cared for with aggression were Zebrasomas, most specifically a Scopas.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve not cared for a Sohal or Clown long enough to say how nasty they are (albeit these tangs honestly shouldn’t be regularly seen in LFSs IMO). But I’ve cared for Achilles to the point that some did become aggressive but many seemed quite peaceful in the LFS holding tanks.
Interesting, I've always heard how aggrressive acantharus are specifically. If you want to go through with this, check out BRS interview on keeping difficult fish and Viking Reefer on YouTube/instagram. Dr. Reef also keeps achilles and recommends a ton of flow. I am looking forward to this tank! (I'm setting up a new tank in the next few months I'd love your opinion on...)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I've always heard how aggrressive acantharus are specifically. If you want to go through with this, check out BRS interview on keeping difficult fish and Viking Reefer on YouTube/instagram. Dr. Reef also keeps achilles and recommends a ton of flow. I am looking forward to this tank! (I'm setting up a new tank in the next few months I'd love your opinion on...)
If I’m honest, as much as I’d like one it’s unlikely I’ll have one - I’m sticking with Wrasse dominant and an Achilles wouldn’t likely love that too much.
This is my 4’ tank (just over 5 years old).
IMG_9568.jpeg

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own 3 achilles tangs in different tanks (2012, 2014, 2021 purchase dates as juveniles) and 1 achilles goldrim hybrid (purchased as an adult from LADD around 2015 and housed with my first achilles from 2012)

Personally its my absolute favorite tang and I put one in all of my tanks that are generally suitable (smallest for my own long term keeping is a 6 ft 180g)
They definitely grow slower than any zebrasoma or a decent amount of other acanthurus tangs I've owned both in the past and currently but will not take any beef from any tang (to some degree almost any angel as well)

I will say that most importantly above all else though, good quarantining habits above all else is key to keeping one alive for a long time.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do but this guy has one in what I believe is a 4ft tank and a naso :expressionless-face: I’ve been debating and achillies in my 300 cause it’s only 6ft…
not to mention he has a clown and unicorn yikes! I’m blown away he can keep all those in there..

IMG_3176.png
IMG_3177.png

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do but this guy has one in what I believe is a 4ft tank and a naso :expressionless-face: I’ve been debating and achillies in my 300 cause it’s only 6ft…
not to mention he has a clown and unicorn yikes! I’m blown away he can keep all those in there..

IMG_3176.png
IMG_3177.png
This is what gets me confused, how he has those tangs and not one has decided to wreak havoc.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what gets me confused, how he has those tangs and not one has decided to wreak havoc.
Temperament of each fish will highly vary along with aggression being highly reduced when resources (mostly food ime) being a non issue. I keep multiple large angels together the same way (albeit the tank is now considerably larger than the one thats pictured) because they're very well fed (they will squabble more often than just dominance exhibitions when not well fed)

* I do say this just as a form of information and not to support stocking a smaller tank in a similar manner without the intent to upgrade adequately later on.

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have 14 tangs in my 300g tank including Sohal , Achilles, purple tangs . Nobody shows aggression except Achilles killed a new powder blue in 2 days . They have strict packing order. Whoever inside tank currently are all follow protocols. That’s why even my copper band butterfly can fight food with tangs at feeding time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back