Stocking Suggestions for IM 200?

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, I am in uncharted territory. I ordered my dream aquarium, an Innovative Marine 200. The dimensions are 70.9" x 30" x 21.7".

This will be saltwater aquarium number 4 and the biggest one over 25 pounds. I don’t even know where to start. The most fish I ever had was three, a Royal Gramma, Clownfish and Yellow Watchman Goby.

I have always gone to great lengths to NOT overstock my aquarium but right now I feel like I have a blank check but I still feel like my list below may be pushing it. I’m not sure if this is too many tangs with the Angelfish, let me know? I can easily cut down on the Tangs.

Here’s what I’m looking at:

• Blue Hippo Tang
  • Lemon Tang
  • Orange Shoulder Tang
  • Kole Tang
  • Clarkii Clown pair
  • Spotbreast Angel Pair
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Marble Wrasse
  • Harptail Benny
  • Smith’s Blenny
  • I want some sort of Anthias group but don’t know who to go for.
  • Goby recommendations?
  • Any fun oddballs?
I may eventually bring over my Orchid Dottyback.

I’d love some suggestions on reef safe wrasses and Anthias as well as stocking order. I plan to add the Tangs last and all at once. This will be a reef aquarium.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the dimensions of that tank.

I would choose one of either the lemon (assuming one of the mimic tangs?) or orange shoulder tang.

Unless you have some connections and some deep pockets, you likely won't find kole tangs anymore. Other close cousins are sold under that name sometimes. Just make sure you know which species you are getting, so you know what the fish will look like as an adult. C. truncatus is a great one.

Clarkii clowns are really nice looking, in my opinion. The reason they aren't more popular is because of how aggressive they eventually get. Similar behavior to maroons.

My favorite goby is the pink/blue spot. C. leptocephalus.

My oddball, that's not really that odd, is either a longnose or flame hawk.

Ado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I have the same tank and in the process of setting it up now. I will be moving 2 oc clowns, yellow watchmen goby, a foxface, and a blue-throated fairy wrasse from another tank. I plan to add 6 anthias (5 female, 1 male), a scopas tang, yellow tang, and a few more wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, I am in uncharted territory. I ordered my dream aquarium, an Innovative Marine 200. The dimensions are 70.9" x 30" x 21.7".

This will be saltwater aquarium number 4 and the biggest one over 25 pounds. I don’t even know where to start. The most fish I ever had was three, a Royal Gramma, Clownfish and Yellow Watchman Goby.

I have always gone to great lengths to NOT overstock my aquarium but right now I feel like I have a blank check but I still feel like my list below may be pushing it. I’m not sure if this is too many tangs with the Angelfish, let me know? I can easily cut down on the Tangs.

Here’s what I’m looking at:

• Blue Hippo Tang
  • Lemon Tang
  • Orange Shoulder Tang
  • Kole Tang
  • Clarkii Clown pair
  • Spotbreast Angel Pair
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Marble Wrasse
  • Harptail Benny
  • Smith’s Blenny
  • I want some sort of Anthias group but don’t know who to go for.
  • Goby recommendations?
  • Any fun oddballs?
I may eventually bring over my Orchid Dottyback.
I’d love some suggestions on reef safe wrasses and Anthias as well as stocking order. I plan to add the Tangs last and all at once. This will be a reef aquarium.
Those dimensions essentially allow almost every fish available to the hobby.
Fun odd ball fish I’d recommend looking at Tilefish (especially if you have a tight fitting lid).
I love my marcosi - the very long white and red fish in the left.
IMG_9292.jpeg

What corals do you plan for?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
If you want coral, skip the blue tang. dang things always seem to eat coral. Mine ate about 1k worth of torches before I knew what was going on. I fed nori everyday with frozen. One day I woke up and it woke up at the same time and it went straight to a frogspawn and ate it. Loved the tips of my elegance too. I thought it was a peppermint shrimp getting the elegance, but nope, blue hippo tang.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want coral, skip the blue tang. dang things always seem to eat coral. Mine ate about 1k worth of torches before I knew what was going on. I fed nori everyday with frozen. One day I woke up and it woke up at the same time and it went straight to a frogspawn and ate it. Loved the tips of my elegance too. I thought it was a peppermint shrimp getting the elegance, but nope, blue hippo tang.
That’s the most annoying thing about them, they’re gorgeous and so playful especially with how they make new ways of sleeping yet so many seem to love playing with coral frags.

It also seems quite common of yellow tangs to now be going for coral which is interesting.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
That’s the most annoying thing about them, they’re gorgeous and so playful especially with how they make new ways of sleeping yet so many seem to love playing with coral frags.

It also seems quite common of yellow tangs to now be going for coral which is interesting.
Yeah she was good for awhile until she got bigger, and dang. Took me too long to realize

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, but in peninsula. have had it 8 months just got my plumbing done....yeah lots going with life and the other tank.

anyway I decided to go FOWLR for this one.
gonna be a angels (dwarf) one emp. and butterflies basically some of the non reef safe fish I have not been able to keep.

huge fan of wrasses here there are some great mixing guides around to mix fairies and flashers then add a few other wrasses and BAM one heck of a tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back