Can EVERYONE Quarantine New Fish & Corals? Are their viable reasons not to QT?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many hobbyists introduce new fish, coral, livestock without quarantining them. Some choose not to QT because they don't feel the need while others choose not to because they don't have the space/means to do so. Are their viable reasons not to QT?

Can EVERYONE Quarantine New Fish and Corals? Are their viable reasons not to QT?

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a shaming thread if you do not QT. I have had personal reasons I did not QT at various points in my hobby career.

QT tank image via @d_adler
1717174326699.png

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quarantining my fish the past few years. Some quarantines are longer than others, it depends on how long they've been sitting in my lfs and how they look more than anything else.

I have not quarantine any inverts or corals but I have been thinking about doing so. One reason why not to do things like snails is because in my lfs they sit in their own systems without fish. The chances of them bringing in something is lower than say a fish. That is the only reason I can think of for inverts.

For Coral I really wished I had started from the beginning quarantining them. I have brought a lot of aptaisia and other things in that I really wished I didn't have. And lately I don't have many aiptasia and the ones I see I quickly take care of them. But yes I think in the future I might be Coral quarantine.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood. I’ve never qt anything. And as of now never faced any super bad problems. Minor pests here and there but with dipping coral nothing tank destroying. Fish same. I will say I have had the odd fish die without an explanation. I did do a recent aquabiomics test which showed zero fish or coral pathogens.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the most part the ideal way would be to QT.
One example that contradicts this would be in the case of a fish like a mandarine dragonet which (unless trained to eat frozen) has a very specific diet and from what i've read has a very healthy slimecoat that avoids it from the majority of pathogens and parasites.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone can learn.

Anyone who says it is easy or cheap is wrong. It takes a lot space, time, reading, and money. You will still lose some fish in quarantine and sometimes it will be your fault and it sucks.

Even harder than quarantining is maintaining your quarantine! Once you have clean fish, you cannot add anything wet to the tank without quarantining it first, including coral, inverts, rocks, used damp equipment, etc. This is because pathogens can sneak in.

Quarantining coral is a big pain because now I have to maintain another system.

My 250G tank has been fully quarantined for 5 years and it is totally worth it.

IMG_7761.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not QT'd anything yet. Now, when I get a bigger house and have spare space for a QT tank, I will probably QT fish but not coral.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not QT'd yet for 2 reasons:

1) I don't have the space in my home currently.
2) I have a small system, and almost everything was added at the same time and from the same place.

I definitely see the value in it. When I get a bigger space and tank to work with, I'll QT fish!

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never QT'd. I do not have the desire or room (or warden approval). I suppose I have been very lucky over the last few decades though.

I did not add fish for over 6 years until recently, but given the reality and odds I opted to order QT from Dr. Reef and another vendor (can't remember off top of head) and will always do so moving forward. While it is not a 100% guarantee, it is a decent hedge against disease introduction.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to QT but I'm getting migraines trying to figure out where to put this stuff. Have it all worked out in my mind how it would go then the reality of having a wife who's not going to put up with turning part of the house into a lab sets in. Did that once but now the mother in law owns that room.

Seriously considering just adding fish from my waters as they would all be immune to what pathogens float in my waters and buying that needed from places trusted to do proper QT as in the long run likely less expensive then on my own and then I can focus on having a small tank next to my desk where I observe frags and another for longer observation before those go in the main.

Sucks most LFS don't perform this service but I get it. If it's a hindrance and cost to me then that's likely not profitable for an establishment that profits from quick turnover and not holding inventory.

Why I also buy predominantly that held for an extended period from tanks with corals where salinity at 35 ppt and copper not hiding diseases.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt fish, but nothing else. I used to qt everything, but actually had more losses doing that.
Idk debating setting up a coral quarantine and this is the thing that has me. Since they have to sit so long I wanted to do a big batch with the idea of some losses but then I’m also risking more if I can’t keep them stable (or who knows what else) compared to a few here and there. What were you losses from?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say
1) I'm surprised how many don't do any qt, and
2) some of the people that been around 10+ years that don't qt.

Currently, I have 2 bellus angles in QT. I started with copper, 1 stopped eating. Switched to TTM, and they got uronema. It's a crazy story if you care to read, here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-there-special-qt-for-bellus-angels.1052079/post-12488221

Or here

Thread 'Young Bellus pair with spots on fins' https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/young-bellus-pair-with-spots-on-fins.19868/

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood. I’ve never qt anything. And as of now never faced any super bad problems. Minor pests here and there but with dipping coral nothing tank destroying. Fish same. I will say I have had the odd fish die without an explanation. I did do a recent aquabiomics test which showed zero fish or coral pathogens.
I did this and had my whole fish collection die from ich

AnomMatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not QT for three reasons, two of them are ages 4 and 2 -- the last one is space. And time. Ok, I lied. There's four reasons.
I've no plan to QT, and this sums it up. I think dipping and being more wary of sources can aid it, but it's for sure a trade-off style gamble in the end.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine anything for a few reasons. I posted a few threads on this but I believe long quarantine or medications damages fish, destroys their immunity and severely shortens their life span.
Stress is the biggest reason people lose fish and quarantine is a huge stressor unless you can quarantine in a very large tank decorated just like your normal reef with natural hiding places, not PVC fittings.

I have about 40 fish, some over 30 years old and the vast majority of them die of old age. The tank is 53 years old. None have ever been medicated, observed or quarantined. Yes, including tangs. :grimacing-face:

"But". If you are a Noob and have a relatively new tank just a few years old, maybe you should quarantine until you have enough experience and growth on your rocks to keep a natural tank and feed natural foods that, if done correctly will allow your fish to live their natural lifespan with no help from you.

Just my opinion of course and I am not the God of fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've no plan to QT, and this sums it up. I think dipping and being more wary of sources can aid it, but it's for sure a trade-off style gamble in the end.
I this started for my kid too.. I thought at sounddd great to prevent hitchhikers and issues for the cost spent on everything.. I can tell you, watching a fish in a qt in its shunned off area because of space, and not being able to buy anything on impulse is a drag.. and then waiting to put it in the tank. Kinda feels like we’re sucking the fun out of it or maybe it’s because there’s nothing in the main tank yet.

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine anything for a few reasons. I posted a few threads on this but I believe long quarantine or medications damages fish, destroys their immunity and severely shortens their life span.
Stress is the biggest reason people lose fish and quarantine is a huge stressor unless you can quarantine in a very large tank decorated just like your normal reef with natural hiding places, not PVC fittings.

I have about 40 fish, some over 30 years old and the vast majority of them die of old age. The tank is 53 years old. None have ever been medicated, observed or quarantined. Yes, including tangs. :grimacing-face:

"But". If you are a Noob and have a relatively new tank just a few years old, maybe you should quarantine until you have enough experience and growth on your rocks to keep a natural tank and feed natural foods that, if done correctly will allow your fish to live their natural lifespan with no help from you.

Just my opinion of course and I am not the God of fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Do you not quarantine everything, or just fish? I’m already questioning if I want to quarantine coral for a brand new tank since QT for the two little clowns was 0 fun.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back