Can fish recover from flukes and internal parasites by themselves?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if a fish were to get flukes or internal parasites can they recover on their own if you were to like feed them good food and vitamins and have pristine water quality? Or would you have to intervene?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just curious if a fish were to get flukes or internal parasites can they recover on their own if you were to like feed them good food and vitamins and have pristine water quality? Or would you have to intervene?
Good water quality and diet will reduce risk to such diseases but internal issues will allow the issue to take control of the fish especially when unlike external parasites, you cant tell what is going on other than with signs and most external parasites require a host to reproduce and thrive and when untreated - you will allow them to accomplish that

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean will the fish rid themselves of these parasites on their own, not in aquariums except for digenean worms that require only animals like birds to complete their life cycles.
However, under really good conditions, these parasites can reach a balance with their host. Remember - if the host dies, so does the parasite, so their aim is not to consume the host.
In most cases though, external parasites on fish in aquariums get out of control and harm the host.

Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back