Flukes or am I paranoid?

BAMslam93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve had a pair of ocellaris for about a week now in my 15 gallon cube and noticed that my bigger one (Jess) has been breathing slightly faster than the smaller one (Nick). I’ve been experimenting with different food and they’re slowly warming up to Nutramar Gamma Complete Marine after a hunger strike.

I kept reading and looking at videos of breathing clowns but I’m unsure if I should qt the big one for medication. I did notice stringy white poop from Jess so I suspect a parasite like flukes or something internal.

I’m debating setting up a 10 gallon qt tank but I’m short on real estate in my house. I want to wait and see since she’s pretty active (no flashing or lethargy) and asserting dominance on the Nick but I don’t want to cause more stress on them with medicating either in the DT or QT.

Any advice would be great and I’ve uploaded a video of Jess!

Parameters coming soon, currently testing right now.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t see a video and often flukes cannot be seen however some signs are hiding, sudden darting across tank, heavy breathing, loss of appetite and appearance of yawning

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the video uploaded.

If you suspect flukes, you can do a 5-minute freshwater dip. Clowns are quite hardy and should tolerate that without issue, and you won't have to medicate your tank. One of my clowns had an eye fluke last year, and freshwater dip cleared it right up.

OP
OP
BAMslam93

BAMslam93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see a video and often flukes cannot be seen however some signs are hiding, sudden darting across tank, heavy breathing, loss of appetite and appearance of yawning
Sorry, I just posted a YouTube link in my original post.

I did notice her yawning a couple times last night and she does chase after food. That’s been a struggle getting them to eat and they finally have been keeping it down lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve had a pair of ocellaris for about a week now in my 15 gallon cube and noticed that my bigger one (Jess) has been breathing slightly faster than the smaller one (Nick). I’ve been experimenting with different food and they’re slowly warming up to Nutramar Gamma Complete Marine after a hunger strike.

I kept reading and looking at videos of breathing clowns but I’m unsure if I should qt the big one for medication. I did notice stringy white poop from Jess so I suspect a parasite like flukes or something internal.

I’m debating setting up a 10 gallon qt tank but I’m short on real estate in my house. I want to wait and see since she’s pretty active (no flashing or lethargy) and asserting dominance on the Nick but I don’t want to cause more stress on them with medicating either in the DT or QT.

Clamped fins, flared gills and heavy breathing all signs of brooklynella disease. The gills likely contain mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater which is harder to find. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as easy as a second hand tank from a thrift store or as simple as a starter tank kit from Walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
BAMslam93

BAMslam93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Alright got my parameters here:

Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 7.9
Temp: 79 F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Alkalinity: 11 dkh

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Flukes won’t cause white feces.

The clown in the video is breathing a bit fast and is kind of thin. It is taking food in but spitting it out. Can you try feeding smaller meaty foods like baby brine shrimp of chopped up mysids?

OP
OP
BAMslam93

BAMslam93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes won’t cause white feces.

The clown in the video is breathing a bit fast and is kind of thin. It is taking food in but spitting it out. Can you try feeding smaller meaty foods like baby brine shrimp of chopped up mysids?
I’ve fed Mega Marine but I’ll give baby brine shrimp a try. I also have mysis shrimp I feed my betta so I could try chopping it up too. Also getting a cheap hospital tank to set up just in case.

Edit: Just got home and fed them with Marine S, barely any spitting!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back