Can hazy glass be caused by high calcium or high ph?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 220 mixed reef that I've noticed has a hazy film on the inside of the glass. If you look straight on or from above it's not that noticeable (except to me) From below it's obvious. It's a standard All-Glass aquarium not low iron. It's been set up for six years and have only had the haze for last several months. I've tried razor and magic eraser feverishly with no luck. I don't think the haze is "in" the glass as there are "clearer" continuous lines/paths about 1mm wide throughout the glass surface. My guess is collonista snails that populate the glass at night. The two things that seem to coincide with the haze is elevated calcium level and higher ph. I replaced my 2 part with All For Reef about 8 months ago. I based the original dosing amount on ALK. I tested myself daily and had two ICP tests done for the first month to zero in on my range which ended up being 7.5 dKH and 439ppm Calcium. I've since increased timer when needed based on dKH readings. I'll admit I only took one calcium test in last few months but I test dKH weekly and maintain in mid 7s constantly. I maintain lower dKH as I run somewhat low nutrients <5 N03 and <.03 P04. Occasionaly they bottom out if I slack on feeding. I feed three times a day. So I notice on my bathroom shower glass panels that I have a similar haze which I'm having a hard time completely removing. Even with commercial products and vinegar. It got me thinking that maybe the aquarium haze is hard to remove calcium build up. I took a calcium reading and it was 550ppm. I took a second reading and confirmed. I just sent out an ICP test and am awaiting results. I have also noticed that over the last several months, my ph has been consistently 8.1-8.25. It used to run 7.8-8.15. I have no idea really why the increase but was happy. I confirmed my Apex reading with a hand held ph meter. And lastly, the right side of the glass is worse than the left side. I know there is more flow on the right side of the tank near the glass. I'm gonna stop the AFR and just add baking soda for ALK to get calcium back in range for now. Then I'll test calcium weekly with alk to see if it starts to out pace the ALK again. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I've never heard of deposits like that underwater but as a Glazier I can confirm that calcium deposits (like your seeing in your shower) are the cause of that white build up and don't like to come off.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s for sure build up of something as there are lines or trails throughout the haze. My guess is the snails are able to chew through it where a razor or magic eraser is not.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The precipitation of calcium carbonate is foremost driven by high pH, and secondarily by high alkalinity, and lastly and least, by high calcium, at least within the ranges we typically see.

A common rise of 0.3 pH units is about equal in this context to a doubling of alkalinity (which sometimes is encountered, say 7 to 14 dKH) and a doubling of calcium (which is nearly never encountered (say, 420 to 840 ppm).

The haze might also be bacteria.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The precipitation of calcium carbonate is foremost driven by high pH, and secondarily by high alkalinity, and lastly and least, by high calcium, at least within the ranges we typically see.

A common rise of 0.3 pH units is about equal in this context to a doubling of alkalinity (which sometimes is encountered, say 7 to 14 dKH) and a doubling of calcium (which is nearly never encountered (say, 420 to 840 ppm).

The haze might also be bacteria.
My alkalinity is very consistent at 7.6 +/- .2 so I doubt that is the cause. The appearance of the haze definitely coincided with my pH sitting above 8.1 all the time. I reviewed my readings and the pH actually would peak daily around 8.3 in August through October before the outside weather forced me to keep windows closed. I put my refugium on a reverse light cycle (100% Red Dragon's Breath and base rock) back on line around that time as well which may account for the more stable pH which I thought was a good thing. Prior to that, my pH would drop to 7.8 - 8 overnight and rise to 8.15 during the day. I would think that if it maintaining pH at 8.1 - 8.3 would cause this, there would be a lot more discussion about it. I do carbon dose daily with TM Bacto Balance and weekly TM Reef Actif. But I've been doing that for aabout 10 months and the haze only started about three months ago. Prior to that I used Tunze Care Bacter for carbon dosing. I switched to Tropic Marin because the Tunze was causing excess bacteria film on the rocks. If the haze is bacteria based, would it be that hard to remove? For now I've taken the All-For-Reef offline and have replaced it with just a soda ash soulution to let the calcium come down gradually back into range. What would be a good way to maintain my pH at a slightly lower level to see if the haze starts to dissolve?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if it maintaining pH at 8.1 - 8.3 would cause this, there would be a lot more discussion about it.

It doesn't.

Also, if it is calcium carbonate, it will not dissolve.

Does it wipe off? If so, it is bacteria.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it is calcium carbonate, it will not dissolve.
So once calcium carbonate deposits are present one is stuck with hazy glass unless the tank is drained to be treated? Would water flow increase the likelihood of the deposits? The right side of the glass where there is twice as much flow is definitely "hazier" that the left side of the glass with less flow. Also, would snails be able to chew through the build up where a razor would not?

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I actually did read that. The streaks in mine made me think that that would not be my issue. Unless snails or something could make clear lines in it. Plus it's not a low Iron glass. It's just an off the rack Aqueon 210 reef ready. But who knows.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back