Can I add a Flame Angel to a reef without it eating coral or being bullied by Tangs?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame has never been harassed by tangs and is very bold. Hasn’t bothered lps or softies yet. Several years old.

AsTheBubblesChurn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to try some tricks with the tangs when it comes to adding the angel! No no box (acclimation box as most call it), decoys, mirrors, release after dark ect. Depends on how your tang gang is with new fish! Mine form a pack and terrorize new fish for a week then chill.
The no no box

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 5' x 2' reef tank with a large Foxface, PB, WT and Yellow Tangs, Six Line and Flame Hawk. What's the likelihood of a Flame Angel safely blending in and not eating my SPS?
I have my flame in a tank with now 26 tangs and No issues. As for coral, you get lucky or you dont. At first mine got nippy but now does not care about them

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding the fishes and angels well with minimized the risk of picking at your corals.
flameangel2019082511maleresized-jpg.3551053

flameangel2019082512malenuptial-jpg.3551054
I haven't found flame or coral beauty angels to be riskier than tangs, as far as eating corals.

Established powder blue and yellow tangs can be really mean, but they mostly ignore small dwarf angels. It's risky, but I would get a small flame and use an acclimation box and mirrors.
Yep, my Coral Beauty is a model citizen, never touches corals, and only gently nubs any fish they may think about hanging out in 1 of his cave spots. No issues at all, had him over 8 months now.

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5' x 2' reef tank with a large Foxface, PB, WT and Yellow Tangs, Six Line and Flame Hawk. What's the likelihood of a Flame Angel safely blending in and not eating my SPS?
I have a Flame Angel, Powder Brown Tang, and Flame Hawk in a 4ftx2ft. The fish all get along fine with zero aggression I can see. The damsels do attack my hands during maintenance though! I only have SPS and Zoas and don't see the Flame bother those either. YMMV.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame decided to all but take out my new acan. Need to rehome him anyway as my tank is too small and he is getting bigger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back