Looking for small fish who won't be stressed by larger ones.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135 gal 60" x 24" x 22" tank with several large fish. All are doing well but over the past months I've lost several small timid fish likely due to being outcompeted for food. My current stock includes these large fish,
Foxface rabbitfish 6-7"
PB Tang 6"
WT Bristletooth Tang 5"
Yellow Tang 5"
Others are Flame Hawk 3", Six line wrasse 1", LM Blenny 3.5", two perc clowns 1.5"each, plus snails, crabs, shrimp, urchins and starfish
Recent losses include Tailspot blenny, firefish x2, and Diamond goby,(jumped)
Although I can't be sure as I haven't witnessed aggression I'm hesitant to add any more small, timid fish and don't have space for anything big.
Looking for suggestions on what I might safely add at this point. Thanks in advance.

IMG_2546.jpeg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you want small with lots of attitude I could recommend a Dottyback. Maybe an Orchid as they’re colorful and assertive without being total pias like some other Dottybacks.

Dominic Sakon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135 gal 60" x 24" x 22" tank with several large fish. All are doing well but over the past months I've lost several small timid fish likely due to being outcompeted for food. My current stock includes these large fish,
Foxface rabbitfish 6-7"
PB Tang 6"
WT Bristletooth Tang 5"
Yellow Tang 5"
Others are Flame Hawk 3", Six line wrasse 1", LM Blenny 3.5", two perc clowns 1.5"each, plus snails, crabs, shrimp, urchins and starfish
Although I can't be sure as I haven't witnessed aggression I'm hesitant to add any more small, timid fish and don't have space for anything big.
Looking for suggestions on what I might safely add at this point. Thanks in advance.

IMG_2546.jpeg
I got a few sick possum wrasses from my lfs (heat pack didnt work in shipping) so I got them cheap $45 (normally $115-130) and I put one in my 80 and 2 in my 20 gallon fuge in the sump and the one in the 80 did great. They're so zoomy and peaceful and they can be kept in groups and they're cool/cute little buggars that will likely work as eating some potential pests as well.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota Links Goby.
Biota Neon Blue Cleaning Goby
Trio of Biota Lyretail Damsels

First two are very small. Links roam the substrate and won't be bothered by much. I have one in my 210 and it more or less goes unnoticed by the larger fish. Gold lined rabbit, zoster and pyramid butterflies, milletseed butterfly, pink square anthias, radial and matted filefish, and a few others. They are pretty chill and sift the sand in a small form factor. Brings a joy every time I catch it.

Neon blue is a no brainer. Again on the small side but will find a spot to hang out in. Fish will learn its location and stop by to get cleaned. Neat to watch. Very personable fish. Love mine.

Lyretail damsel - black with hints of yellow around the fin. Mini streamers. Active. Visible. The one I have hasn't been aggressive. Finds a spot, will dig a small burrow, and move about as it gets comfort.

These are all small fish. I did not know the actual size you are looking for but small, well, these are all between 1 and 2" in size.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota Links Goby.
Biota Neon Blue Cleaning Goby
Trio of Biota Lyretail Damsels

First two are very small. Links roam the substrate and won't be bothered by much. I have one in my 210 and it more or less goes unnoticed by the larger fish. Gold lined rabbit, zoster and pyramid butterflies, milletseed butterfly, pink square anthias, radial and matted filefish, and a few others. They are pretty chill and sift the sand in a small form factor. Brings a joy every time I catch it.

Neon blue is a no brainer. Again on the small side but will find a spot to hang out in. Fish will learn its location and stop by to get cleaned. Neat to watch. Very personable fish. Love mine.

Lyretail damsel - black with hints of yellow around the fin. Mini streamers. Active. Visible. The one I have hasn't been aggressive. Finds a spot, will dig a small burrow, and move about as it gets comfort.

These are all small fish. I did not know the actual size you are looking for but small, well, these are all between 1 and 2" in size.
I considered cleaner gobies at one time but read they can stress fish by constantly hassling them for cleaning services in the confined environment of an aquarium. Went with shrimp instead for cleaning purposes.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few sick possum wrasses from my lfs (heat pack didnt work in shipping) so I got them cheap $45 (normally $115-130) and I put one in my 80 and 2 in my 20 gallon fuge in the sump and the one in the 80 did great. They're so zoomy and peaceful and they can be kept in groups and they're cool/cute little buggars that will likely work as eating some potential pests as well.
Will they eat my inverts?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered cleaner gobies at one time but read they can stress fish by constantly hassling them for cleaning services in the confined environment of an aquarium. Went with shrimp instead for cleaning purposes.

I understand the stress comment but it was listed not for utility but rather size and color. The goby is not to be confused with the bluestreak cleaner wrasse which is an open water swimmer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly disagree with this idea.

There is one reason I disagree; there is already a (likely to be rather boisterous) wrasse in there. That sixline will not accept any new wrasses and especially not any similar to it - Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops species. It may be small now however when it matures they will be the first target. Infact, it may already be going for small, docile fish in the tank as I wouldn’t be surprised if it was taking out the fish the OP attempted to add.

If I was the OP, I’d leave it there with fish and wouldn’t add anything else as the fish remaining are all likely established and wanting to keep their territory. 9 fish is a good number IMHO, especially with a powder blue in there. That guy will want to be swimming so you may find you’ll eventually have to remove rocks to allow for more swimming space for that guy.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly disagree with this idea.

There is one reason I disagree; there is already a (likely to be rather boisterous) wrasse in there. That sixline will not accept any new wrasses and especially not any similar to it - Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops species. It may be small now however when it matures they will be the first target. Infact, it may already be going for small, docile fish in the tank as I wouldn’t be surprised if it was taking out the fish the OP attempted to add.

If I was the OP, I’d leave it there with fish and wouldn’t add anything else as the fish remaining are all likely established and wanting to keep their territory. 9 fish is a good number IMHO, especially with a powder blue in there. That guy will want to be swimming so you may find you’ll eventually have to remove rocks to allow for more swimming space for that guy.
Thanks. I think I'll follow your advice and stick with what I've got. Just curious though, although I'd say the six line is very active in the tank I never observe him going after other fish. As stated he's an inch long and oddly doesn't seem to have grown in the 16 months I've had him. How does such a small fish, with a tiny mouth, actually go about killing other fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think I'll follow your advice and stick with what I've got. Just curious though, although I'd say the six line is very active in the tank I never observe him going after other fish. As stated he's an inch long and oddly doesn't seem to have grown in the 16 months I've had him. How does such a small fish, with a tiny mouth, actually go about killing other fish?
Quite easily…
I know a few people on here who have had issues, for example Orion has had them poke the eyes out of Mandarins.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they eat my inverts?
Not sure but keep an eye on your flame hawk. I couldn't keep snails or hermits when I had mine.

you could go for some damsels, they'll hold their ground against anything. I'm a big fan of the blue yellow belly ones.
That been my experience. I have a yellow belly that stays on one end and a yellow tail that stays on the other end on my 180g. They both cruise all over and eat well but each has their own place in the rocks. I also have a very pretty yellow tail damsel that has a spot midtank. I've never had much luck with other smaller fish like gobies and smaller blennies in my larger tanks as they always end up mia. They do well in my smaller tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a harem of dwarf angels in there. Two or three either Flame angel or Flameback angel and they will be fine in that tank, adding very active coloration and motion.(and interesting natural behaviors)
Perhaps you should consider feeding more food so the smaller fish can get their share
FlameAngel2019082510MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Maleresized.jpg
FlameAngel2020032101Female.jpg
Flameback2020102803Male.jpg
Flameback2020102807.jpg
Flameback2020112505Female.jpg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface rabbitfish 6-7"
PB Tang 6"
WT Bristletooth Tang 5"
Yellow Tang 5"

IMG_2546.jpeg
Yellow clown goby.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to put smaller, more passive fish, then might I suggest a shoal of 5 or 6 so they can stick together for protection as they would in the wild? 1 or 2 would likely get bullied IMO. I love my azure damsel and if I could school a bunch of those I would do it in a minute. opn live food the color pop is insane

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four azure damsels in my 180 - absolutely love them and they definitely hold their own. There were a few minor fights when they first arrived, but after the first week everyone gets along great. The other smaller fish who does well with my tangs / large fish is a flame hawk.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a harem of dwarf angels in there. Two or three either Flame angel or Flameback angel and they will be fine in that tank, adding very active coloration and motion.(and interesting natural behaviors)
Perhaps you should consider feeding more food so the smaller fish can get their share
FlameAngel2019082510MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Maleresized.jpg
FlameAngel2020032101Female.jpg
Flameback2020102803Male.jpg
Flameback2020102807.jpg
Flameback2020112505Female.jpg
I LOVE Flame Angels BUT, are they really reef safe? Do I have room to add a small group of them in a 135g with my Powder Blue, Yellow, White Bristletooth Tangs, and Foxface. Also have a Flame Hawk, LM Blenny, Six Line and two clowns.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four azure damsels in my 180 - absolutely love them and they definitely hold their own. There were a few minor fights when they first arrived, but after the first week everyone gets along great. The other smaller fish who does well with my tangs / large fish is a flame hawk.
I also have a Flame Hawk who no one messes with. I worry about him with my Cleaner, Blood and Peppermint shrimps but he's been a good boy thus far. I feed HEAVY!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hungry fish will picks. The solution for non reef save Flame Angel be is more feeding. My Flame Angel does not bother SPS, Anemones or Clams. A few LPS that I keep are fine, mostly Goniopora, Aleopora, Euphyllia all do well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back