Final fish for a 40g tank?

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is an IM 40g L. Essentially a 40g breeder AIO.

Current stocking -
2 Clowns
1 Blackcap Basslet
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp
A turbo, a conch, handful of snails and blueleg hermits.

Recently had to rehome my Midas Blenny due to his serious aggression issues. I'm now struggling with some low phos and would like to increase my bioload a bit.

What would you add to finish stocking the tank? Tailspot blenny seems like a good choice. The sixline pretty much eliminates any more wrasse. Cardinals don't do much for me. Despite the pistol shrimp I'm not really interested in a shrimp goby for some reason.

Thoughts on a micro goby like a neon or sharknose? I'm concerned a tailspot might not get along with them.

LFS has had a small blotched anthias for well over a month now that is tempting, but it's spendy and I know they can be finicky and get rather large. I've also considered a small bristletooth tang, but again, size. I plan to upgrade the tank within a year, but I can always just wait for larger fish.

What fish am I overlooking?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is an IM 40g L. Essentially a 40g breeder AIO.

Current stocking -
2 Clowns
1 Blackcap Basslet
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp
A turbo, a conch, handful of snails and blueleg hermits.

Recently had to rehome my Midas Blenny due to his serious aggression issues. I'm now struggling with some low phos and would like to increase my bioload a bit.

What would you add to finish stocking the tank? Tailspot blenny seems like a good choice. The sixline pretty much eliminates any more wrasse. Cardinals don't do much for me. Despite the pistol shrimp I'm not really interested in a shrimp goby for some reason.

Thoughts on a micro goby like a neon or sharknose? I'm concerned a tailspot might not get along with them.

LFS has had a small blotched anthias for well over a month now that is tempting, but it's spendy and I know they can be finicky and get rather large. I've also considered a small bristletooth tang, but again, size. I plan to upgrade the tank within a year, but I can always just wait for larger fish.

What fish am I overlooking?
Man id totally get that blotched anthias. I’ve always wanted one but no one that has them will ship here.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go with a hawk fish. they have a great personality atleast mine does. I have a flame hawk

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go with a hawk fish. they have a great personality atleast mine does. I have a flame hawk
The blotchy is crazy tempting, and honestly priced very well too.

I thought about hawks, but I'm kinda worried about the CUC. How quickly would it chew through my snails and inverts?

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue green chromas, yellow clown goby, yellow tail damsel.
I've looked at clown goby's for sure. Do you know if they would be compatible with a neon goby? They look different enough, but I don't know of anyone that keeps them together.

After evicting the Midas recently for aggression I'm hesitant to get another reputedly aggressive fish like a damsel.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot might become too small once you upgrade and become less visible. The 40L seems like the right mansion for a TSB. TSB is such a small bioload you could probably get another fish with it. Small foxface, maybe? I tossed around the idea of a saddle valentino puffer, but then I have a lot of coral that might be too tempting. Flame hawkfish was another one I thought about, but I also have a lot of cuc that I don't want eaten, so same boat. If also love a flameback angel, but again, coin toss with the coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back