Can I add a powder blue tang to a yellow tang?

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And will it make a green tang?Actually, I just want to know if I add a powder blue to my current tank w a yellow, will hell break loose? The yellow has been in my tank for about a year, was the last fish added, is healthy as an ox, and only shares the tank with my two clownfish.My lfs keeps getting in great tangs and I love the powder blues

ryan803

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemme know what you come up with b/c caused i almost bought a powder blue 2day as well...only difference is he would be going in with a purple tang

tyler206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have yellow tang, hippo blue tang and powder blue tang in my 72g with no problem, if you have a lot live rock in your tank i think is fine

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to check on aggressiveness. The yellow is maybe 4" long, 1" thick...definitely has been king of the tank. Didn't know if the two tangs would fight

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll have their squabbles but the PB will be the boss in the end.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that there is more than just aggressiveness to consider. Powder blues are known for being difficult to keep and are extreme ich magnets. This problem will be magnified in a smaller tank like a 65 gallon.

if you have a lot live rock in your tank i think is fine

Quite the contrary, if your tank is all taken up by live rock, then the tangs have no room to swim.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. I have no intention of an immediate purchase, but if I did get a pb I would def quarantine it for a month or so.

I love my yellow, and wouldn't want to hamper his tank, so I think I'll hold off. He looks great as is.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the size and more importantly temperment of the yellow.
Issue I see is the tang has had a year without any acclimation to potential rivals.
There is a good chance it will relentlessly harass the PBT while asserting its position as the alpha.

I would have a plan in place to sequester the YT to give the PBT a chance to settle in just in case.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow tang harassed my schopas for the first few days then he got over it once he let the scopas know he was the boss

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use an "acclimation box" to gauge aggressiveness, that's how I was able to add a purple tang to my tank that already had a blue and yellow tang

tennman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but no your yellow will stress pb to death unless thier is a significant size diffrence and propbaly is yellow will be bigger and already dominant trust me i am on my 4th pb and finaly got it right, a damsel can stress a newly added pb! if you had pb first then yellow you would propbaly be ok if you do try watch for popeye daily good luck if you try

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly recommended that PB have at least 180g to swim in...because they swim a lot and fast, they cover a lot of territory in the wild. (aqua acrobats..lol) A Kole Tank would be OK for your size tank, but the Yellow would stress him to death too. Good Luck!

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pb and a mimic tang in a 180g the squabble a little but get allong I wouldnt even try it with a smaller tank

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a Yellow and PB in a 180, that are fine. But I think with a 65, you're pushing the needed space envelope with the Yellow by itself.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a pbt for a 65. They are ich magnets as it is and as said before with a tank that small it will be even harder to keep them ich free. They seem to have better success in a 6' long tank.

They are gorgeous and so tempting, but I think your odd of success would be very low. Think of it as something to look forward to in your next build ;)

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a powder blue in a 75g QT together. They bickered a little at first but are now fine as there is a lot of PVC tubing to hide in. They will be going into a 180g together in February.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!!! As stated above, tank size is a major factor. Even when it's not a factor, some tangs just don't like new tangs. My 240 is 8 feet long and my black tang lets everyone know he's boss. It doesn't matter if it's a tang twice his size or a wrasse half his size. My 6 inch vlamingi is getting to know this now. Btw, my black is only 4 inches. He's put my wrasse, ccb, regal angel and now vlamingi tang thru this. Eventually he calms down provided he isn't challenged. In your case, I'd skip the pb until you upgrade (btw, a Great time to introduce new guys as everyone gets to establish new territory). Are you looking for a algae eating fish or just the pb is just so striking (colors, which I agree)?

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back