Can i add another clownfish pair

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add another pair of clownfish too my 20 gallon tank if not how about a cherub angel what is the minimum tank size for them?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Only one pair of clowns per tank, especially in that small of a tank. You will come across bad aggression issues.

Cherub angels need at least a 50gal to be happy.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can I add another pair of clownfish too my 20 gallon tank if not how about a cherub angel what is the minimum tank size for them?
Ive done it successfully but added 5 clowns, not two as they often pose to be territorial and even dominant. Tank size also will not help

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't do more than one pair of clowns in less than 90gal. They need their own territory. They are also weird and will change what they deem their territory often. They will host an overflow and the next week a rock or a coral. So they really need their own space.

You could probably do a firefish or a watch goby pistol shrimp pair. But most angels even if their small need lots of space as well. A clown goby or Citron goby would work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Only one pair of clowns per tank, especially in that small of a tank. You will come across bad aggression issues.

Cherub angels need at least a 50gal to be happy.
Thanks for the reply I won't then don't want them hurting eachother but a cherub needs that big of a tank? A very reputable fish store new wave aquaria told me that they will be happy there whole life in a 20 gallon

Upvote 0

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply I won't then don't want them hurting eachother but a cherub needs that big of a tank? A very reputable fish store new wave aquaria told me that they will be happy there whole life in a 20 gallon
People want to sell you things. Most small angels really shouldn't be in anything under a 55gal. They like to move around. Sedentary fish do best in small tanks.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will "fit", but they are active swimmers so they need a lot of space.

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to fish of similar size, it all comes down to swim patterns

Though the clownfish, watchman goby, and pygmy angel are all the same size, they all have a different minimum tank size (20, 10, and 50). This is due to how they act. Clownfish like to swim around, but for the most part stay in one place. Watchmen gobies literally stay in one place for minutes at a time so they don't need a lot of room. Angles are constantly swimming like tangs, exploring every inch of their environment. High, low, and left to right, they don't sit still, This is why the pygmy requires a 50g

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest Ive had a cherub in is a 32 biocube with lots of rockwork. It was too tiny at the time to go in my 70 so it was more a grow out tank until relocating her when she was bigger. 20 is way to small for it to live in

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to fish of similar size, it all comes down to swim patterns

Though the clownfish, watchman goby, and pygmy angel are all the same size, they all have a different minimum tank size (20, 10, and 50). This is due to how they act. Clownfish like to swim around, but for the most part stay in one place. Watchmen gobies literally stay in one place for minutes at a time so they don't need a lot of room. Angles are constantly swimming like tangs, exploring every inch of their environment. High, low, and left to right, they don't sit still, This is why the pygmy requires a 50g
Agree, as I stated below the 32 was a grow out tank. She swam around a ton and was happier when she moved to the bigger tank

Upvote 0

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably do a firefish or a watch goby pistol shrimp pair. But most angels even if their small need lots of space as well. A clown goby or Citron goby would work.

I have a small tank with a pair of clowns and a yellow clown goby. They get on very well. I am thinking of adding something - maybe a firefish, or even nicer IMHO a decora goby

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back