Can i get a new clownfish ?

lvivv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe about a year ago i bought a pair of common clownfish, two months or so after purchasing the female died due to an issue that has been long resolved. I'd really like to have a pair again but would it be okay to buy another one after my current one has been alone for so long? And what could i do to increase the chances of them not attacking each other ?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can - make sure the one you buy is the same type of clown and is significantly smaller than the existing clown, which will want to be dominant, and either already is or will become the female.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe about a year ago i bought a pair of common clownfish, two months or so after purchasing the female died due to an issue that has been long resolved. I'd really like to have a pair again but would it be okay to buy another one after my current one has been alone for so long? And what could i do to increase the chances of them not attacking each other ?
I have been able to reintroduce them several times throughout the years of keeping tanks. I usually replace with a smaller clown and the clown who has been in the tank alone will turn into the female if it hasn't already. Best of luck to you either way :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
you can - make sure the one you buy is the same type of clown and is significantly smaller than the existing clown, which will want to be dominant, and either already is or will become the female.
Words out of my mouth lol. Well said :)

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a few clowns when getting my tank going...lost several.. got a pair of snowstorm clowns, did great for 6 months...female died...so I went to LFS to get another, sadly they had no more, so I bought a larger Gladiator clown..now the 2 are inseparable...and make fry every 2 weeks, male snowstorm will bite the shyte out of you when you get near the fry spot.

So you can try different varieties.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back