Can I add fish in my 65gal

MrWolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 65gal with 2 clownfish, 2 ruby red and 1 lawnmower.
I know I shouldn't have more than 1 inch per 5 gal but I've read that it can depend on the activity of each kind.

As most of my fish aren't really moving a lot, I'd like to know if it's safe to add 2 Mandarin and 1 Midas Blenny.

I know Lawnmower and Midas can cause some problem but I've read 50% of success story so I'm willing to try.

for the food, I started a personnel pods farm and it's growing pretty well so I'll be able to provide food to those Mandarin without any problem.

If I look at the maximum mature size of each fish, I shouldn't go over 13" of fish and with what I have and what I want to add I would be at 28" of fish.

What do you think about that?
Thanks

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 with 2 clowns, a HUGE royal gramma, a yellowtail damsel, a rose goby, a sixline wrasse, and a strawberry pseudochromis. You are fine to add a few more. :D

Jack Eskay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be fine adding the fish just like said above be very cautious with the two mandarins. Best of luck though!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably skip the mandarins unless you have a huge refugium, or are willing to create a baby brine feeder or otherwise supplement them. I've had good luck with nutrimar ova. A single mandarin can wipe out the pods in 50-60lbs of live rock, and you have competition already with the ruby reds.

But, as far a bioload I think you can probably add a few more fish. The inch per gallon thing isn't really a standard anymore, it really depends on your filtration, skimmer, and current nutrient levels.

OP
OP
M

MrWolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you ngoodermuth,
I was more asking about the bioload. for the food, I'll be able to provide a load of pods weekly. I do have a refugium but not a big one, I have a sump R-100 from eShopps and 65lbs of live rock.

my pods production give me around 2L per weeks now with a very high density. I'll double that by the end of next month

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back