Can I add insurance for my tank? If so, how?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to include my tank under my home insurance or pull a policy out for it? I have about 2 years of time and probably over 10k invested in my tank so far. If something was to happen to it then honestly I would be devastated and I think my wife would also kill me. :oops:
It got me thinking last night because my 3 year old son who loves to carry around golf balls came into my room with the tank and chucked something right at the tank glass. He has a crazy arm for a 3 year old and as it sailed to the tank I could see my life flash before my eyes. Luckily, it was just one of his socks! After a minute of gathering my composure, I imagined what would have happened if that was a golf ball and it cracked my tank and allowed roughly 180 gallons to spill on the floor causing damage to my house and killing all my livestock.

Is there a policy I can put in place so if something ever does happen(hopefully not by my son) then I will be covered for damage to my house and recouping the loss of the tank, livestock, etc? Maybe also upping my life insurance as well? :D

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe this is definitely possible. best to inquire with yr insurance agent to talk specifics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very few companies do this. I believe Hancock insurance does. Best to call your agent.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(i had thought to do the same ... 180G tank ... earthquake country here). ;Nailbiting

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure only your insurance agent can answer that

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do let us know what you find out.

I need to talk to ours at some point, I am more concerned about damage to the home but l hear you we have tons of time and money invested.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I am going to talk with my agent on Monday. I know people add on their jewelry and guns incase their stolen so this doesn't seem too crazy.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My insurance will cover damage caused to hardware but not contents . So if there was a fire I’m insured for the glass and pumps etc but fish and coral no

I would agree with this. Your best bet to look for an extension for your homeowners policy.

I suppose you could look for an Inland Marine policy for the livestock although I've never heard of one. At the minimum, you would be looking at $1,000 annually assuming it's written through surplus lines.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Farmers in CA, you have to take out a rider policy and the tank has to be plumbed into your house plumbing, then you have to prove it had a failure point.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I called my insurance company (USAA) they said that any damage to the house is covered, even some equipment but ABSOLUTELY NO LIVESTOCK
And there’s no extra policy or anything to cover it that they offer.

your beat bet is to call and ask your insurance company about your policy and if they have others that meet your needs.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I called my insurance company (USAA) they said that any damage to the house is covered, even some equipment but ABSOLUTELY NO LIVESTOCK
And there’s no extra policy or anything to cover it that they offer.

your beat bet is to call and ask your insurance company about your policy and if they have others that meet your needs.

I hear good things about USAA that is what we have. i'll look into it as well just to see.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear good things about USAA that is what we have. i'll look into it as well just to see.
Regular insurance wise they are awesome.
I have my home owners insurance plus full coverage on 2 cars for under $150 month

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back