Can I add an old dry rock to my tank?

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, before doing a mess I want to double check the following:

I had this dry rock in my aquarium for a month, I cycled it and everything.

Then, since I had too many rocks I removed and store it in a empty bucket and closed the lid.

After 2 months, I need to put that rock back in the tank. This morning I rinsed the rock under sink water and now I place it in rodi water bucket.

Can I add it to the tank without issue or it can contains some bad/death bacteria that can compromise my tank?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But how do I know it’s not full of death organism?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I pull it from the tank the first time, I just trow it in the bucket without washing and close the lid for two months. When I opened the bucket today I could smell a bit of “mold”.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But how do I know it’s not full of death organism?
It is, but that is of no consequence unless it is a big dead creature. If it doesn't smell, use it. I have tons of rock years old that I occasionally change out to create something different.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the classic fake purple dry rock. Cycled for a month and then trow it in a empty bucket with lid. It was there for 2 months. Now I rinsed and soaked in rodi.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I pull it from the tank the first time, I just trow it in the bucket without washing and close the lid for two months. When I opened the bucket today I could smell a bit of “mold”.
If tyhis is the case, place back in bucket with a bleach/water solution for at least 24 hours and cold water rinse until the smell of bleach is faint or gone and then circulate another 48 hours with liquid bacteria before trying again

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lets bleach the nice purple colored rock si it looses that paint.

God just throw it in the tank already. Rinse it off, and throw it in. No need for bleach, or soaking in a bucket with bottled bacteria, etc, etc.

A lot of people tend to way over think things in this hobby. Or they just need to beat their chest and announce everyone should listen to me, because I'm the only one that knows whats right. lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah lets bleach the nice purple colored rock si it looses that paint.

God just throw it in the tank already. Rinse it off, and throw it in. No need for bleach, or soaking in a bucket with bottled bacteria, etc, etc.

A lot of people tend to way over think things in this hobby. Or they just need to beat their chest and announce everyone should listen to me, because I'm the only one that knows whats right. lol
Ive bleached liFe rock and it is epoxy coated and will NOT lose its color, but lets place Moldy rock in the tank.... ideal

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the classic fake purple dry rock. Cycled for a month and then trow it in a empty bucket with lid. It was there for 2 months. Now I rinsed and soaked in rodi.
If it was only in a new tank for a month there is 0 concern. Rinse and toss in like many have said.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of animosity on a thread about rocks. Thank God we are not talking about something important like Earthworms. :thinking-face:

because I'm the only one that knows whats right. lol
I am! OK....Maybe not, I'm not sure. I will think about it. :rolleyes:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please follow the TOS in regards to how you respond to one another. Thank you,

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of animosity on a thread about rocks. Thank God we are not talking about something important like Earthworms. :thinking-face:

I am! OK....Maybe not, I'm not sure. I will think about it. :rolleyes:
Sorry got a little heated there for a minute. Sorry @vetteguy53081 I didn't mean to attack you the way I did. Again I apologize.

Leave it to @Paul B l to bring a little humor in. LOL

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, and have, put uncycled rocks into an established tank without any issues at all. Seem like a bit of common sense applies here. If the rock represents just a small percentage of the total rock already in the tank, then I would not give it a second thought and drop it in. Even if there are some residual organics, an established biofilter will take care of them easily. Think of it, at worst, as a dead fish that got reduced by your CUC. Now, if the rock represents a significant (say more then 35%) of the total rock in the tank, I'd probably soak it in RODI for a while.

Also, if your 'fake purple rock' is anything like the stuff I had, it is dense and with very little internal pore structure to accumulate 'death'.

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLAM DOWN!

That usually helps. I would rinse and put it and have. Always assume it creates a mini cycle of some sort. Maybe not even very detectable.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back