Can I add silicone over existing

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Marineland 75 with black silicone I’m getting ready for a future build. I really like the black but would like it more if it was slightly wider. I am thinking of taping the corners and adding more silicone over the existing silicone so it has a beefier look. would this cause any problems?

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would anyone want to see MORE silicone? Look beefier ? Why ?
I like the look of the black corners. Cleaner look compared to clear silicone imo. I'm sure I'm not alone or they wouldn't sell so many.
Silicone won’t stick to silicone
Wasn't sure about that but I think I'll pass as I'd hate for it to start peeling. Thanks for the input.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the black corners. Cleaner look compared to clear silicone imo. I'm sure I'm not alone or they wouldn't sell so many.

Wasn't sure about that but I think I'll pass as I'd hate for it to start peeling. Thanks for the input.
You can always reseal the tank. Just make sure you don’t scrape too deep into the silicone in between the glass

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a new tank so I really don't want to mess with it. Glad I asked here though cause it never occurred that it wouldn’t stick to itself.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just for aesthetics I believe you could use black liquid rubber. Tape the glass to make a straight line and paint it on. Should stick to the silicone and the glass.

Back