Can I borrow your hydros controller?

RaymondsWorlddd

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
213
Reaction score
87
Location
Long Beach, CA
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Long story short, I spent $600 on a Hydros controller last year and later found out I was unable to use it at my apartment due to the WiFi network. I ended up selling the controller because I couldn’t return it and lost money. I am now in a new apartment and want to give hydros another try but am worried I may have the same internet issue and I don’t want to lose money.

Does anybody live near Long Beach, CA that can let me borrow their controller for a day or two to see if I can make it work with my internet?

THANK YOU!!
 
You could try shopping around to different stores/online vendors to see if you can find one with a return policy? Bulk Reef Supply has a good return policy as long as you hold onto all the original packaging.
 
I suspect that your WiFi network is broadcasting and defaulting to 5GHz (for speed) and Hydros and many other devices only negotiate at 2.4GHz for long range.

What you can do —
1. Reconfigure your WiFi to broadcast explicitly at 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz
2. Buy a cheap modem to broadcast 2.4GHz
3. Move your Hydros far away from the WiFi hotspot, configure network, and move back to near the tank

Good luck!
 
I suspect that your WiFi network is broadcasting and defaulting to 5GHz (for speed) and Hydros and many other devices only negotiate at 2.4GHz for long range.

What you can do —
1. Reconfigure your WiFi to broadcast explicitly at 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz
2. Buy a cheap modem to broadcast 2.4GHz
3. Move your Hydros far away from the WiFi hotspot, configure network, and move back to near the tank

Good luck!
I called my internet service provider and made them seperate the 2.4 from the 5G, They didn't want to at first because they told me devices will automatically connect to the 5G, but its not true, and I insisted they provide a seperate 2.4 for me. I now have 5 G and 2.4 G, and I have 2 seperate passwords for them both.
 
I called my internet service provider and made them seperate the 2.4 from the 5G, They didn't want to at first because they told me devices will automatically connect to the 5G, but its not true, and I insisted they provide a seperate 2.4 for me. I now have 5 G and 2.4 G, and I have 2 seperate passwords for them both.
ok now bring your Hydros far away from your access point, configure it using 2.4GHz then move it back near the tank. You don’t want to switch networks just to see your Hydros! :)
 
I did try getting a router to only broadcast 2.4 at my previous place and it did not work. I was on the phone constantly with my internet provider and CoralVue for days. But I’m going to try at my new place again.
I was trying to also avoid restocking fees but I will shop around for the best return policy. Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new