Can I cut down a 180 Gal tank?

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a standard 180 that is seven foot long plate glass? I cant tell but would love to have it cut in half width wise. so I could have two 6' x 24" x 12" frag tanks.
I would need to buy one piece of glass but would make sense because there are a few scratches and it could use a reseal anyways. Its not a perfecto because of the braces and is at least 10 years old.

sqcube4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not unless it was acrylic .. glass would be touchy

OP
OP
backpack

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass company will cut them down If they are not tempered. 1/2" glass on a 12" tall tank would be overkill but If I have a tank that's not in show condition why not?
I could probably get the glass buffed as well and have less in it than buying one tank.

GrampaDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely the front and sides are not tempered. if they are thick like say 1/2in then they probly are not tempered. So yes it can be done.
[I had a old scratched tank cut down into a sump before myself.] As you know the 1/2in glass will need to be done professionaly since it will take special equiptment to do it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back